Our house and a new zoning bylaw - NF

Hookset

I am also one that would like to say 'Sorry to Hear' this news Hookset.

You have recieved some exellent options from members here.....some whom have experienced this mess before and others who sound entirely proffessional with their advice.

Whatever it was that you paid for your piece of paradise..It sounds like approaching the developers early to see what interest they may be willing to shell out for your property may be the way to go if you come out as the winner in that respect......I realize that more money(then cost), doesnt replace paradise...but it may enable you to purcahse another paradise...maybe one with waterfront as mentioned.

How long before the proposed development to start ?

I dont remember what member said it...but getting in early in the planning stages sounds like a MUST DO !, if selling to them is a route you may travel.

Best of luck........this is one thread we'll be keeping track of.

On a lighter side...I hope this doesnt interfere with your fishing too much...we need the inches Bud!

I'm not surprised with the results, in fact it's what I expected based on our experience in our area. By appeal they mean OMB and the first go around won't cost to much, however based on my attendance at many of these appeals the OMB will normally side with the developer especially if the municipality has no objections which brings you to the 2nd appeal and now it gets costly. Hate to say it but in the end you will probably loose and be out the dollars it costs to go through the process.

Best advice above is to approach the developer ( perhaps through a real estate broker or attorney ) and see if they are interested in you property and if so, what kind of offer the are willing to give you. It would really help if the other objector will do the same. You going in from a position of weakness but not as much as after the condos are built. Good Luck!

We are dealing with a similar situation here in Oakville. You have to get a coalition together, and raise issues that would force the land owner and township to basically jump through hoops in order to get the construction plans approved. Some of the issues that were already mentioned are: environmental impact (which may come from various sources:Light polution, noise, etc.), increase in traffic which may pose a threat to children or pedestrians which may require the town to install street lights or traffic lights, etc. You have to get as many concerned residents together and brainstorm.

Wow that is too bad Hookset. I'm suprised that the meeting was held so soon after receiving the letter. They are suppose to give you a number of weeks notice so that you can prepare an arguement and present it to council. You should look into this.

If all else fails, do you think that the new land owner would be interested in your property?

Don't be discouraged as this is a normal 1st step. Your councils job is always to find more revenue so why would they not initially agree. Your job is to get organized with some numbers. Next you should retain a lawyer & Planner with very little money down. Then you must send a "Registered Letter" stating that they will be handling all appeal actions {Should be from one of the professionals} & requesting minutes of every meeting concerning this proposal. You can stop this process @ any phase but are cheap moves to ensure every angle will be scrutinized without great expense to you. Don't forget that many developers buy & submit many proposals in various area's intending on taking the path of least resistance & many also capitulate @ lengthy delays & resistance

Now your council will take you seriously, have to review every phase & step legally as well as well as from the "Official Plan" view, & address traffic, drainage, MOE, MOT etc. This will likely force many studies to be undertaken & paid for by the Developer. These studies may become your best ammunition & often will reveal issues that will cost the Township money. Sometimes new revealed expenses like upgrading roads, Sewers, etc will turn a council against a project

I want to lastly point out that when I 1st got involved there were 7 councilors in favor & 5 years later {with a new council} we took the developer to OMB with 7 councilors opposed. If you get well organized it will become a long process probably 5 years + believe it or not OMB is more Sympathetic towards citizens rights then developers & township greed

Lastly by fighting & being visible the developer will more likely be interested in purchasing your house for a more then fair price as it's cheaper then endless studies & hurddles

Many of the posts have given you excellent advice. From my point of view, as a former town councillor and mayor, If the municipality has an official plan that has been approved by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, the zoning is probably in place to allow this development.

So when it comes to the local council actually listening to the current residents of the area, I wish and hope they do, but, with so much downloading on the municipal taxpayers having happened, the chances are they are looking at the increased assessment to the local tax base and what it will do for their future ability to provide services to the municipality.

Good Luck and be sure to contact the lawyer that was mentioned that specialized in OMB issues.