shining tree

brkygetr

To all that are local and fellow OFC'ers..

If things work out heading up the GRR this weekend.. are they logging up there yet?? It's been 3 years since I was there and they were widening the road to make it a highway. Just need to know if I need a radio???... it'll be dawn when I am goin' in and I'm not much for loaded pulp trucks without warning. Any heads up would be appreciated.

p.s. If anyone is gonna be up let me know, the bugs are gonna be bad, the heat and no wind is gonna suck, but I'm gonna be camped and fishin'!!!!!!

Walter you don't stand a chance!!!

Dale

ah...shiningtree

I have not been there in 3 years, ever sense they closed some trials to back lakes because the logging companies put in a road and they followed our trail and came too close to some lakes, so the road is posted no motorized vehicles and I am too out of shape to walk that far.....miss it though...

good luck with the trip

I was in Shining Tree the first week of June.

We traveled in all directions to various lakes and the only logging trucks we came across were on 560.

If you're asking about Grassy Road they did redo it a few years back and it's much wider.

This year we didn't venture too far up it but last year and the year before we went way up it rarely getting below 60 or 70 km/hr.

It's a great area up there;so much water to fish and so little time....:Gonefishing:

I and my fishing partner were also there the first week of June. As far as were concerned it's been fixed up too well. The grader was on it that week. We and a lot of the "oldtimers" who have been going into some of the lakes off that road for many years long for the days when it took an hour and a half to get to our lake from 560. Now it takes 45 min. tops. Only logging trucks were on 560. There are now scads of people coming in from Timmins and Sudbury every weekend and at some lakes it's party central on Fri and Sat nites. Lakes are now getting fished pretty heavy. If you want to see bears, they are there. There also seems to be a lot of mining activity/exploration going on that area.

I and my fishing partner were also there the first week of June. As far as were concerned it's been fixed up too well. The grader was on it that week. We and a lot of the "oldtimers" who have been going into some of the lakes off that road for many years long for the days when it took an hour and a half to get to our lake from 560. Now it takes 45 min. tops. Only logging trucks were on 560. There are now scads of people coming in from Timmins and Sudbury every weekend and at some lakes it's party central on Fri and Sat nites. Lakes are now getting fished pretty heavy. If you want to see bears, they are there. There also seems to be a lot of mining activity/exploration going on that area.

My uncle fished Shining Tree a lot in the late 50's. Having little money he built his own boat out of plywood, strapped it to the roof of his VW Beetle and made the long trek up there from Toronto.

Back then even main highways were an adventure.

He stopped going there in the early 70's 'cause as he said, "it's all fished out now". :D

The more things change the more they stay the same, everything is relative.

Well, I guess I'll date myself, but yup, Terry, boy wasn't that old gravel highway 560 a treat to drive. You never knew what was over the next hill or around the next bend. Also, when I first used the old GRR, it was two ruts in sand, not much wider than one vehicle, pretty well the way the Feldman Timber Company from Timmins left it when they sold their timber limits to Malette Lumber which I believe also became the Waferboard Corp. It was they who abandoned the dam at the end of Peterlong and thus Ont. Hydro, yep, you and I, who had to pay to repair it. Nobody drove logs down the Grassy and Mattagami any more, so they didn't want it. Also, in those days many of the roads were gated and you had to have a pass to get through. Getting those amounted to " who you knew" at the various lumber companies, depending on where you wanted to fish or hunt.