Maitland river

richyb

Hello, I am going to be staying on the Maitland river just outside of Goderich for 4 days june 26 to the 29th. Was just wondering if anyone has any information about the fishing for this time. Suppose to rain for 3-4 days before I get up there and i hear the fishing is better with higher water level. I dont know tho what i should expect. Will there be any trout still up in the river?? I hear the bass will likely still be there. Also Ill be taking both fly and spinning gear so any opinions on what will work would be awsome.

thanks.

I can't help you with anything Close to the Mouth...

But I can tell you that inland I've fished it up river closer to 86, and Wingham.

Pretty much anywhere you can find that has water deep enough to cast you'll find Bass and Pike.

Its pretty silty, and shallow, so finding deep holes it the trick.

Utelize Google earth to find some deeper looking holes close to where you'll be, and be prepared to do some Walking.

Hip waders, vest and a rod and lots of walking :)

I used white Spinner baits, and pumkin Tubes, or power Craw on a florida rig.

I'd cast logs, and undercut banks or deep water runs.

White seems to be the best color of spinnerbait, especially when the water is murky.

Good luck,

Edited by Cookslav

I was raised in Wingham, and fished the river my whole life.

Never near Goderich though. There are lots of dams on the river, and if your willing to do a little research like Cookslav suggested, you'll be able to find some holes.

One of my favourite summer traditions was to drift the river in a canoe from the Belgrave area down to Wingham. Lots of holes to stop at on the way.

Lots of bass, and surprisingly large pike. Tons of carp too, if your into that.

Spinner baits and crawfish where the choice baits back then, 10+ years ago.

Edited by N.A.W

Is at the falls reserve?

Lots of bass holding in deep holes. Trout are there but the water might be too warm now.

Worms, small spinners, crayfish etc. There use to be a stocked trout pond but not sure if its still there.

In the town of Goderich you can do some casting of spoons of the pier there are fish there but in low numbers.

It should be flowing nicely with all the rain.

Thanks for the info guys. No its not at the falls reserve that we are staying. there does seem to be some deep holes close by so Im hoping there holding some bass and pike to play with. Was hoping there would be the odd trout still in the river but i guess ill have to come back to play with them.

thanks

Whoops made a mistake. Just learned that its actually at Auburn where ill be going. Same info still apply?

Edited by richyb