Fish ID

Banger68

I was at the cottage this weekend on the Saugeen River. There was a whole school of a minnow like fish swimming around. They were slim like a minnow (1.5" long) with an orange/red head with a brownish orange body. They were pretty fast moving and stayed in the current so it was hard to get a good look at them. Anybody seen these before or have an idea what they are?

Don't think they were goldfish. Every time I've seen released goldfish they kept their rounder profile and stayed in still water. These were slim like a minnow and were staying in the current.

Hope they wern't goldfish as there was a school of 20-30 of them.

Edited by Banger68

I think you saw creek chubs. They are all over upper stretches of rivers. Caught many while going for brookies or resident browns. When they are spawning they get reddish orange stripe right down the length of body.

chub.jpg

We have a ton of Chub in the area. They are the right shape, but the whole head was orange. I've been up there for 10 years and never seen these before. That orange in the pic is the right colour though. Maybe the same fish with more colour?