How do I make my subject sharper ?

misfish

Still playing and trying very hard to figure out this photography stuff. Not as easy as I thought it would be.

Lets get these two out of the way first.

Again Playing.

rr003.jpg

rr018.jpg

Now here is the photos I am having trouble with. Back ground is sharper then the subject. What am I doing wrong?

rr019.jpg

rr015.jpg

Thanks

Im having fun with this,but get frustrated.

Edited by Misfish

It just looks like your autofocus is picking up the background instead of the subject. You should have the option on your camera to manually select which autofocus point to use. Just make sure the one you select is on the subject when you take the photo.

Hope that helps!

You've missed focus. There could be a few reasons for it,

starting with

a)how many active focus points you are using.

b)the camera locking onto something other than what you wanted (this will occur even when using single focus points) as the camera always looks for contrast and busy BGs or intervening obstructions (more common). This is highly related to "a". The algorithims will always grab the highest points of contrast near to far. The more active points you have the more likely it will grab something other than what you want.

c)can happen if your using the focus/recompose method ( don't suspect thats the cause here).

d) Another possibility is that the ducks are inside your lenses MFD (don't think this is the case either but is one such possible reason, might explain the first)

e) Back or front focusing

J

Edited by JBen

thought maybe you were taking pictures of people at the G2G

was going to tell you , you could never make them sharper.....:whistling:

:rofl2:

sorry

:rofl2: Other then Terry's smart :asshat: comment (very funny though) there are a few good tips above. Another thing when on a long lens (full zoom) a tripod will help with a sharper image as the camera is stable. I think the guys above have it nailed in this case with the focus issue being in an auto mode and tips to work with. Keep the pics coming Brian. ;)

Definitely the autofocus is the culprit, but understanding how your aperture settings influence depth of field would help as well. I can't explain it well enough in print, (or I too lazy on a Friday night to try) but I would think that you could find some information on line.