Shipping rant

cranks bait

With the loom of Canada Post Strike over our heads, I am choosing not to send through them like I usually do so my parcel doesn't sit somewhere.

I don't ship much and when I do I use Canada Post. It's easy, it's inexpensive and I have never had a problem with it. I am now trying o send a 20 lbs box to Quebec. I've done the online quote with the big companies (four of them). By using Canada Post my parcel would be around $15.00. UPS is $40.00, Puro $35.00, FedEx and Canpar are both $19.00.

Try Fed Ex first, 10 minutes on the phone as I do not have an account. They then give me an account number and tell me I have to go online to do a pickup. I'm already talking to you, lets get this done? Nope online only, plus a $6.00 a week surcharge fee. Pass.

Try Canpar. On the phone for another 10 minutes with them, once I figure a way to talk to a human without having an account number. Online only is the responce I get from them. So I go and start an account online. My computer is slow as molasis, so I am getting frustrated quickly. Get my info entered. Next page says an agent will call me in 48 hours. what the hell, I just talked to them on the phone. I cannot get an account without talking to them, but I have to do it online.

I'm not even going to try with the other two, as they are too expensive. I cannot wait till I can trust that I can waddle across the street, put stamps on my box and have it delivered. GRRR, talk about frustrated.

Just talked to my mail delivery person. She said there should be no problem sending it Canada Post. Might just take a few days longer. Especially now that they have been told that they are going to be locked out on Tuesdays and Thursdays. She has not heard of a complete hault yet, so I am risking it.

As for going to the hub. Wish I could. I work longer hours than they are open so getting there is a problem, hence the need for pickup. Plus they are on the other end of town. For now though I am glad to be able to just cross the street.

Edited by cranks bait

Dicom Express.. cheaper than Canada Post ! I use it for all my aircraft part orders out of Brantford. $11.70 for Canada Post and I have to go chase the damn package at the postal outlet with a 3 day delay. Dicom Express gets handed off to Orillia Messenger service up here and Paul brings it right to my shop door the NEXT morning for $8.40 !!!