30th Anniversary Fishing Report

Pikeslayer

Hey Ladies & Gents,

I wasn't sure if a 30th wedding anniversary is a big deal or just another number divided by 5. So I figured instead of another trip to a 5 star resort, we would do something completely different. Like go Gonefishing.gifGonefishing.gifGonefishing.gif . So off we went last Friday to zone 15.

First stop was to pick up Mrs. Slayer's anniversary gift. Her very first conservation license + two dozen minnows. She was very surprised rolleyes.gif to say the least.

Saturday was not the best day (rain & drizzle all day long) for a romantic fishing outing, so I pre-fished solo most of the day. Some big OOS SM + little pike (20"). Mrs Slayer & daughter #1B (Tyler) went shopping. (BTW, Mr & Mrs got the bunkie, Tyler got the main cottage all to herself).

Sunday the weather turned out great. Sunny & Mild. We spent a good couple of hours marking a lot of suspended fish 7-9 ft. in 14 - 20 ft but had no takers. At noon thirty, we moved to the north end of the lake. I knew of a spot where we have been succesful before and figured the SW wind might be pushing the bait fish up against a deep wall. After 30 minutes, nothing. I decided to expand the zone and marked a previously unknown submerged point with a pool of about 16 ft off the edge. I set up for the troll through the pool towards the point. Midway through the pool, Mrs. Slayer was rewarded with this;

SANY0360-1.jpg

Can you tell she loves fishing yetw00t.gif . This walleye was 2.4 lbs and caught on a clear bright day with the sun at it's zenith (go figure). Minnow + bobber set @ 4 ft.

Well, my head says to me 'let's do that again". Get in position, start the drift and tell Tyler where to cast. Bobber hits the water and almost immediately goes down. Tyler lands this beauty;

SANY0364-1-1.jpg

For the record, that's not the first pike Tyler has caught, but it is the smallest (5'4 lbs). She aka The Pike Princess.

So now my heads makin a lot or racket up there. "Do it again!! Do it!!" So I did. Four passes and zero nothing nada. I did manage to lose a spincast combo while someone whistling.gifwhistling.gif was pulling up the bait bucket. No worries there though, the combo was at least 20 yrs old and I couldn't even tell you the name of rod or reel.

We decided that the fishing gods had rewarded us sufficiently and it was time to start packing up to go home. So I figured the boat needed a good run @ top speed before sitting for another weeek or two. Mid way across the lake @ 38 mph, Tyler says "Oh Dad!! Another one of your rods went in the water" Crap!! that was my baitcaster combo (but only a BP brand). Note to self; figure a way to tie down those rods to the gunwales.

Now I just need to figure out what I need for my anniversay giftwhistling.gif .

Regards,

Slayer