Musky/Pike info

umKthxbye

So I've been hearing everyone say that muskies are fragile fish and was wondering what makes them fragile? Pike and muskies look similar almost exactly the same body structure, only difference I can see is the colours. I did some research and found out that hey aren't even related in anyway as they have different DNA and they just evolved the same. Now, are pike just as fragile? Because I never hear people say they are. So what makes a musky fragile? Once musky season opens up I'll be targeting them and pike. I just don't want to handle them incorrectly. I know how to hold them for pictures. I see allot of people "spear" throwing pike back into the water which I find ridiculous. 

Thanks

So I've been hearing everyone say that muskies are fragile fish and was wondering what makes them fragile? Pike and muskies look similar almost exactly the same body structure, only difference I can see is the colours. I did some research and found out that hey aren't even related in anyway as they have different DNA and they just evolved the same. Now, are pike just as fragile? Because I never hear people say they are. So what makes a musky fragile? Once musky season opens up I'll be targeting them and pike. I just don't want to handle them incorrectly. I know how to hold them for pictures. I see allot of people "spear" throwing pike back into the water which I find ridiculous.

Thanks

I'm not a seasoned musky/pike vet, but I do love fishing them. But take this with a grain of salt.

I think in most cases, anglers are speaking in terms of larger musky/pike in terms of how fragile they are. Only speculation here, but if their physiology allows them to produce lactic acid, I think this plays a major part in fatiguing the fish during the struggle. This is why a fish must be handles appropriately, and held in the water and allowed to recover, otherwise, there is no gas in the tank so to speak, for them to swim off healthy.

Think of it this way. If you were in the gym lifting weights, and just lifted the heaviest weight you've ever lifted. Your now exhausted, but moments later you are presented with a situation you hadn't seen coming, like being held underwater. I'm sure you'd be in a fragile state and most likely wouldn't survive the ordeal.

I just re-read that, and realized I should never give fishing advice, nevermind anything I just rambled about there :oops::lol:

Edited by manitoubass2

Especially on a bigger fish, when taking a pic, hold it under the gill plate and support the body with your other hand, horizontal holds only, don't vertical hold a big fish, you can kill them doing that. Throw the lunkers back in, they are big for a reason, either they have good genetics or they are really smart - two qualities that you want for breeders to keep the fishing going for years to come.

In my opinion I guess people said it its fragile because of low population... so by holding them in different position it could damage it, or taking the hooks without caution could kill it... it could less even more there productivity... as we look at the REG, we are allowed 1 keep, as for the pike we can keep 6... but again its my stupid opinion only... not sure what the others has to say...

also agree to all the post before me...

its more about the musky literally fighting you to the death...

thats why you need heavy gear... nothing angers me more than guys trying to catch a big musky with a 7 foot medium action spinning rod and 8 lb test line...

i have purposly broke of on 48+ inch musky because they were caught while ... lets say perch fishing... with a 10 foot noodle rod and 6 lb test mono... the battle went on too long so to avoid killing the fish i broke my line...

and the warmer the water the higher the risk of fetality...

now every so often i have a fish up and die on me... its like they had a heart attack or something... short fight, never took em out of the water, not hooked deep, etc... sometimes there is nothing you could have done to prevent these deaths (other than stay home)...

now best advice i can give you...

the fish deserves more attention than getting a picture or a measurment... if you think the fish is in danger... leave your camera in the tacklebox... if hes hooked deep, cut your hooks(replacing hooks is easier than replacing a 50 inch musky) etc...

now enjoy the hunt for this truly amazing fish

mike

Yeah makes sense. When I caught my first musky ever last Thursday it was an awesome fight(I actually though it was a pike, got an iPhone app now to ID fish I don't know). It was 24" but my 6'6" Abu Garcia vendetta medium/heavy and shimano Caenan got it. It swam away just fine but kept fighting the whole way to shore. I'll keep your info in mind if ever I catch another one. What would you say the max amount of time should be to try and get it in?

One thing I started doing was what we call "bullying the fish". I've had much better releases of big fish this way, but I'd be interested in getting the thoughts from an avid musky or big pike angler.

I use a 7" med.heavy rod (I'd like to use bigger, but need to buy a new rod), heavy braid and I like the drag tight. Once I set the hook my goal is to land the fish with as little fight as possible. I try not to let the fish run at all, keeping tension as tight as possible and reeling as quick as possible . I've done this more with big walleye than Musky, so I'm not saying it's the best idea out there, but it does seem to work quite well when releasing the fish. As in much shorter recoop times and a healthier looking swim off.

Any thoughts on this? Wouldn't surprise me if I was completely wrong, but it does "seem" to work much better than "fighting the fish" and letting it run time and time again (which would drastically increase lactic acid production/build up)

One of the biggest things about hadling a Musky or Pike that are large is to not just hold them by the gill plate letting there tail end hang. You should always hold it under the stomach and the gill plate. Allowing them to hang by the gill will or can kill them it puts way to much weight on there organs and cause lots problems.

Edited by Live2fish85

One thing I started doing was what we call "bullying the fish". I've had much better releases of big fish this way, but I'd be interested in getting the thoughts from an avid musky or big pike angler.

I use a 7" med.heavy rod (I'd like to use bigger, but need to buy a new rod), heavy braid and I like the drag tight. Once I set the hook my goal is to land the fish with as little fight as possible. I try not to let the fish run at all, keeping tension as tight as possible and reeling as quick as possible . I've done this more with big walleye than Musky, so I'm not saying it's the best idea out there, but it does seem to work quite well when releasing the fish. As in much shorter recoop times and a healthier looking swim off.

Any thoughts on this? Wouldn't surprise me if I was completely wrong, but it does "seem" to work much better than "fighting the fish" and letting it run time and time again (which would drastically increase lactic acid production/build up)

I kinda agree with that.

I have 50lb sufix 832 on my baitcaster with a 20lb Fluoro leader and just horse everything in(including perch lol). I like the fight with big fish but it's the same fight wether you horse it or let it drag. At least that's how I felt it was on my first musky. Caught it twice, first time I let it drag on and it unhooked. Second time was quick and actually felt like a better fight and it swam away like a champ.

you have to also realize what size musky your targetting

on the st.lawrence we see 48+ inch musky on a regular basis so our tackle has to be up to the challenge... musky specific rods with 60-100lb braid on large powerful reels...

if a 36incher is big where you are well then your tackle should match that... if your equiped for 50lb fish and catching 15-20lb fish your not going to be having much fun either... and thats what fishing is about... having fun

I kinda agree with that.

I have 50lb sufix 832 on my baitcaster with a 20lb Fluoro leader and just horse everything in(including perch lol). I like the fight with big fish but it's the same fight wether you horse it or let it drag. At least that's how I felt it was on my first musky. Caught it twice, first time I let it drag on and it unhooked. Second time was quick and actually felt like a better fight and it swam away like a champ.

50lb braid and 20lb fluro leader in not enought I use 100lb braid and if I'm using fluoro it's 150lb. If you want to target musky you need the right gear. I know it can be cost more but it the long run its works out my 100 lb power pro last for years and a decent musky rod can be 100$, fine a used reel and your good to go, a good net and bolt cutters. Or get to know a musky guy they are always interested in teaching a new guy. Just don't expect them to tell you any secerets right away.

50lb braid and 20lb fluro leader in not enought I use 100lb braid and if I'm using fluoro it's 150lb. If you want to target musky you need the right gear. I know it can be cost more but it the long run its works out my 100 lb power pro last for years and a decent musky rod can be 100$, fine a used reel and your good to go, a good net and bolt cutters. Or get to know a musky guy they are always interested in teaching a new guy. Just don't expect them to tell you any secerets right away.

As I said right above your post, i have no intent on targeting large musky. My set up can handle a 5-10lb musky. I'm a bass and walleye kin of guy. Ill be going into the pike field more now since they are fun. I may eventually change my mind, but as a shore fisherman my options are limited at the moment.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

good info here... i just wanted to state that pike and musky ARE related. They are both of the same genus... which is Esox.

wherever you did your research was incorrect.

good info here... i just wanted to state that pike and musky ARE related. They are both of the same genus... which is Esox.

wherever you did your research was incorrect.

You're right. I should have looked at wikipidia. Guess that also proves my other comment in another thread about how much the Internet isn't reliable for facts :P

You're right. I should have looked at wikipidia. Guess that also proves my other comment in another thread

about how much the Internet isn't reliable for facts :P

Neither are the people on it...

Take all the info from this site and use common sense to figure out what you believe to be true