Sniff....Sniff.....Umm????

tjsa

SKUNK!! :angry:

Well, not really, if I count the skanky pike we caught, instead of walleye. A couple were around 3-4 lbs., most were 1 lb. hammerhandles, and I was bitten off by heaver fish 3 times.

Walked out, only fished for a little over 4 hrs., fished in 3 different places, but no walleye.

The lake still had 24 inches of ice, but we could tell it was not great ice last week. Top 8-10 inches was obviously soft in large areas during the previous week, starting to honeycomb, but today was good because it was 0C. We might get in one last trip next weekend, because it is going to be -0C temps for most of the week coming, even going down as far as -14C, if I can trust the weather quackopracters.

But, soon as it gets up to 10C, its gonna deteriorate rapidly.

Not sure about our steelheading this year, maybe hit 3 or 4 of the larger rivers, with deeper pools, but there is NO snow left in the bush for runoff, and our rivers do not have much water flow right now. A little rain will help, but massive rains would be needed. Might have to change tactics, and go out for brook trout casting off shore, or carrying a boat in just after ice out. Hit the put and take lakes first, then the ones that open late April. I don't usually go to them until early to mid-may, cause I am out steelheading, but if the rivers are gonna be so low, I won't bother to bother them.

The lake I was on today was probably down 3 ft. from traditional water levels. We usually are still snowmobiling into it, today we drove in all the way, with only about 6 inches of icy areas in the sun sheltered areas, most of the road was bare.

Man, do we need rain, lots of it. Hope it comes.

On the upside, kinda, saw an Osprey today, early arrival since there really isn't a lot of open water for it to hunt in right now, rivers are flowing, the ice has sunk to the bottom, but nothing is spawning yet.

Oh yeah, no pictures today, sorry. Nothing noteworthy to photograph. I don't take pictures of pike very often, :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was telling TG the other day that I wish we could send some of the rain we have gotten your way Tom, we have had more than enough here.

Congrats on getting out!

Don't worry about pike pics hopefully I will have some dandy's at the end of May for team 8

Whopper

Glad it was you bud,didn't think you could smell that skunk all the way up there.Art and I went out for Crappies today and just caught the smell!Couldn't even coax a cat out of the water.54 degree water temp 65 air temp,you'd think somethin would be eating!.I did get a smallmouth and a bluegill a couple of days ago during lunch so I figgered they would be up for a little bite today.

Joe