Red Ceder Lake Marten River

Steve_R

Hi im heading up to Red Ceder Lake next week just wondering how are the water levels? l know its a late spring just kind wondering how was the walleye and pike fishing was this long weekend? And how bad were the black flys..im hoping they will be gone by then..

Steve.

I haven't fished Red Cedar for a few years, but the water levels are up in most lakes.

Look for walleye around river mouths. Trolling at dusk caught a few fish for some other anglers that were staying in the cabin next door.

As far as black flies.......damp/wet spring = lots of black flies and mosquitoes.

I have a couple of friends with cottages in Haliburton/Muskoka. One of them was up at his place about a week ago and said the black flies were really bad. Not surprising.

We are heading back this year the first weekend of June for the week and the reports I have been hearing about the black flies have been real bad. I know the water levels are up, unlike last year when they were down really low. No fishing reports as of yet but when I hear of something I will let you know. Hopefully it will be a productive and safe trip for all. Cheers.

I've fished Red Ceder a couple of times when younger. I liked the lake. Fishing around the narrows always hooked into fish. From the Field side of the lake, there was a nice little island which trolling around always caught fish too.

I'm camping in Marten River PP for a few days this summer. I don't know much about the river. If we can't find a good bite around the PP, we might take a boat over to Red Ceder and fish it for a while!!!

Do you guys have anything good to say about Marten River?

Do you guys have anything good to say about Marten River?

It's a nice campground! lol

Have spent many a night in it... I'm trying to remember the site number that has a private launch that we always camped on with the motorhome. 54 I think.. I'll check the campground reservation site to clarify.

Directly across from the campsites there is a weed bed that goes from the Bailey bridge to the next point to the South (it's the bay you see from the highway just before pulling into the park). I've always had some luck along that weed edge. The best pickeral I ever caught there in all the years came from trolling under the bridge. Picked it up from the deep hole that not many know about.. the water flows under the bridge and then tumbles into a hole on the NORTH side of the brige. Other than that... it's a tough river/lake to crack!

Here's a photo series on the river from the Rock Pine Motel in pic # 1 to the outlet dam into Red Cedar in #12

mr1.jpg

mr2.jpg

mr3.jpg

mr4.jpg

mr5.jpg

mr6.jpg

mr7.jpg

mr8.jpg

mr9.jpg

mr10.jpg

mr11.jpg

mr12.jpg

A couple shots of Red Cedar Lake

redcedarlake.jpg

Be careful not to get lost on it!

redcedar2.jpg

wayne great pics!

Steve R my inlaws just moved up that way. about 10-15 minutes from there actually. I can tell you that the fishing has been decent but it is late this year so the bite is just starting to heat up. Should be in full swing when your up there. Be prepared for black fly hell. Althoguh there is some sun and heat coming most likely not enough to kill most of them off.

Bring a bug suit!

Cheers!

We are heading back this year the first weekend of June for the week and the reports I have been hearing about the black flies have been real bad. I know the water levels are up, unlike last year when they were down really low. No fishing reports as of yet but when I hear of something I will let you know. Hopefully it will be a productive and safe trip for all. Cheers.

Just got back from visiting a friend in Marten river black flies are getting bad but i live up here so for me thats normal. Water is still cold fish are not to aggressive, Drifting or still fishing is beater,well it was today

on the plus side there were no dear flies out.

i spray my self with bug dope to keep them off me and bring it with me in the boat"don't leave home with out it "

Water level is normal

water temp will be up soon hopefully by the time u get up here

have fun on your trip and good luck to you