Earl Rowe

Hi Everyone,

Went to Earl Rowe this weekend camping, its the first time I've been there and heard there was a lake and some stretches of river so I packed the rods and gear.

We hired a kayak on the lake and had a good row around to see what was about, we found loads of small Carp spawning in the margins and after about an hour started to throw some spinners and crankbaits out hoping for some Bass, Pike or even maybe a Walleye or two.

We spent about 3 hours on the lake and not a touch on any of the lures we tried which were small Mepps numbers 2,3 and 4, small crankbaits, midsize plastics and we even tried poppers after seeing some small fry taking pond skaters off the top of the water.

The following day we took a walk down by the river and again saw small Carp in the margins, although we did see 3 or 4 small trout spawning on a gravel bar just below one of the deeper pools.

So thats just about it really, that was my fifth fishing trip since moving to Ontario and still fishless..!!!!

Does anyone know or can advise on what fish are in Earl Rowe and is it worth fishing it..??

Hope you all had a good Victoria Day weekend and caught more than I did.

Colin.

Well for one thing, the bass in that area are still out of season for another 5 weeks, so you really shouldn't be targetting them just yet.

I camped at Earl Rowe just once about 20 years ago, there's better fishing to be had elsewhere...

Well for one thing, the bass in that area are still out of season for another 5 weeks, so you really shouldn't be targetting them just yet.

I camped at Earl Rowe just once about 20 years ago, there's better fishing to be had elsewhere...

Hi,

I wasn't targeting the Bass, the guy at the kayak rental place suggested we fish for Pike, Walleye and the lake trout but also mentioned that there were small Bass in the lake.

Where would you suggest elsewhere to fish..??

Lol there are no lake trout, pike , or walleye there. Only bass , a few rainbows,carp, catfish, and specs. The fishing suckes there

Hi Bigredfisher,

Thanks for the info, well that about says it all I suppose...!!!

I've always done well at earle rowe. I used to camp there every may24 with my parents .. Chucking spoons above the dam produced ranbow prettyregularaly the colder the spring the better....and below the dam a big float and chunk of worm always kept us busy as kids with rockbass suckers and chub..

I've always done well at earle rowe. I used to camp there every may24 with my parents .. Chucking spoons above the dam produced ranbow prettyregularaly the colder the spring the better....and below the dam a big float and chunk of worm always kept us busy as kids with rockbass suckers and chub..

Hi Freshtrax,

Thanks for the info and tips on tactics, I'm certainly going to give it another go as the park is only a 45 minute drive from where I live, I'm sure something must swim in the lake.