Mission : Speckle Trout

Dozer

Hey, I'm headng up north near Algonquin Park, just outside the east side of the park.

I have caught speckle trout in these areas over the years, but have never purposely targetted them. I've been watching the speck reports hard this year to pick up as much as I can.

I picked up a bunch of small spinners, small cranks, a few small spoons that I will use in my arsenal to try to catch a few of these fish.

I've caught them near fallen trees in lakes and rivers that connect lakes together.

I guess what I'm looking for are a few more pointers on how to increase my catch. Not for dinner.

For example, mid day in May, on this small lake, the surface came alive with specks surfacng for whatever reason (food?), I jumped into the kayak, casting distance into the exact same spot and worked it hard. Worked the bottom as well and nothing produced. I ran dfferent spinners, cranks, live worms, eventually I gave up since I figured I've spoooked the fish.

So ya, any tips will help the noobie out.

I also tossed a few fly patterns at fish I could see in the creeks, I tell ya, I was very frustrated spending over 8 hours casting at this bloody fish over two days while the friggin' cockroach and his stupid speckle buddies surfaced every 15 minutes, taunting me, bringing me close to having a damned anxiety attack, having thaughts of going into the creek and dismantling its stupid wooden outpost he calls home just so he can move on and I would never see it again. Any fly patterns anyone would recommend?

I've done a few google searches and have a general idea of things but personal experience would be helpful.

I will report back with pictures come Tuesday evening :)

Yours truley,

A frustrated fisherman

Edited by Dozer

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

if i'm catching specks casting i'm having a pretty good day. when they are aggressive like that it makes for some of the best speck fishing of the year. i catch most of my fish covering water trolling.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Hey Dozer,

I'm assuming here you are targeting lakes using a spinning reel setup, coupled with a med action rod. Never fished rivers for them but I'm sure others can chime in and give you tips on that.

For specks I use 6Lbs mono Trilene XL as main line and tie direct to hardware such as tiny cranks (BigO perch pattern) and spinners (Mepps Black Furry #2 dressed).

I also use slip bobber type rigs and worms for targeting bottom from shore. One thing you must keep in mind is that speckle trout spook very easy so stealth is key to be successful.... one thing my dad always told me while fishing for them is:

"if you can see your shadow in the water your on the wrong side"

always have the sun in your face and keep the noise to a minimum :)

If you have access to a floating rig (boat).... locate shore structure such as tree stump, sunken trees, drop offs and points and cast your hardware to them.... you may get snagged often but that's part of the game :)

Hope this helps you out and good luck with your mission in the park!!!

Leechman

Edited by Leechman

I always have two rods in the boat this time of year especially...if not three rigged differently. First I cover the shoreline trolling small spoons or spinners..usually tipped with a piece of worm, when I find the school, I back off from the spooky fish and toss a slip bobber set up with a small red gammy hook and worm with a small split shot six inches up from bait...works for me up here. Have a good weekend and good luck

I find after about a half hour and a few fish they "spook" really bad and move on and if time allows come back a couple hours later.

Edited by ctdd2006