Nettogami Fly-in

SylvanOwner

So my buddies and I are doing our first ever fly-in trip and was hoping to pick the brains of the members here (shouldn't take long) to help make it the best ever...haha.

We're going in to Lake Nettogami with Air Cochrane on May 31st, staying until June 4th and was hoping that someone may be able to offer advice on spots or baits from previous experiences here. We're staying at the peninsula cabin. Post will follow on return.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

HI,

I have flown in with Cochrane Air for 15 years or so. Not going this year due to a few things happening at home! We have never fished Netogami, but I know people who have. We fished Edgar(its close to Netogami), Sand, Floodwood, Unknown, Yesterday, French, Twopeak, and Snare. TAKE IN LIVE BAIT. We usually take in 250 dozen of minnows. Its true, ask Mark.. But we use every single last one of them! Jigs are the ticket for walleye! Pike, silver minnows, buzzbaits,etc.. When they are hitting, they hit anything! Be pre-pared for the bugs. Take alot of bug spray! Any questions please ask...

PS..We are headed to Yesterday Lake next summer. Its our favorite!!

Here is Cochrane Airs facebook page..COCHRANE AIR FACEBOOK

I never had to bother with live bait any time I fished in that neck of the woods. Walleye and pike are both pretty easy to catch. That's why you go to a place like that to begin with.

For walleye, all you need are 1/4-ounce and 1/8-ounce jigs. If you bring plastic bodies (grubs, twisters, shad bodies or whatever) you better bring a bunch of them. Better yet, bring some bucktails - they stand up to a lot more chewing, and the fish seem to like them as much as anything else.

You'll also catch pike on jigs, but you might want to bring along some weedless spoons (big Johnson Silver Minnows are good), some spinnerbaits and a few buzzbaits. That's honestly about all you need.

Bug spray is a given, and perhaps a bug suit would be a good idea this year, with all the rain we've had.

This post has a good discussion of what to bring that might prove useful to you: http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178698

Another good thread here if you haven't seen it yet: http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28692 and here http://apthorpeoutdoors.blogspot.com/2009/07/lake-nettogami-2009.html

I have never fished that body of water but I am sure it's similar to others I have fished. If it were me, as already recommended, jigs with plastic grubs (I prefer Yum and Gary Yamamoto in white, chartreuse and pink). If you can manage it, I'd also bring some nightcrawlers to use on spinners behind bottom bouncers or Lindy rigs, because you never know; but in all likelihood you will probably be fine with just jig and grub. Gulp minnows are a nice alternative to the plastic grubs as well. I'd also bring a few cranks to mix things up for fun - Rapala Shad Raps, X-Raps and Storm Hot'N'Tots would be top on my list.

For pike I'd also recommend the Johnson Silver Minnow (the largest one in silver) with a large white grub as a trailer. The Fin-Tec Title Shot spoon looks like a great alternative too. I also really like using Williams Whitefish spoons, the 4" and 6" ones in silver. White spinnerbaits are also great.

Good luck!

I've been to Kesagami (same area) but not Nettogami. We never bring live bait on our fly-ins and never regret it. I'm pretty sure you will be fine with jigs/ twister tails. Maybe some worms for insurance, but minnows are high maintenance and high $.

Solid eye lake I'm told. A cousin shares a camp on the lake and hunts moose in the fall there.

Time of year you're going expect ANY kind of weather. Favorite jig colors of mine in order were, pink, pink/white, orange (for pike), white (pike & eyes) then chartreuse. Trolling with jigs is effective for find the spots on spots, then casting will get the dozens more once you're on 'em.

For a first fly-in, I think you picked a good choice. Seen reports from there and the lake has some good sized pike too.

So my buddies and I are doing our first ever fly-in trip and was hoping to pick the brains of the members here (shouldn't take long) to help make it the best ever...haha.

We're going in to Lake Nettogami with Air Cochrane on May 31st, staying until June 4th and was hoping that someone may be able to offer advice on spots or baits from previous experiences here. We're staying at the peninsula cabin. Post will follow on return.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Hi Dan,

You are going to be in for a great time. I have fished Nettogami three times and will be going out on my 4th trip the end of June. We have the fish dialed in pretty good on this lake.My link is my blog posting from last year's trip.

For the walleye any type of plastic jig works great....For the 40+" pike, the only lure that consistently produces them up there are the dark colored MSB-125 made by Fishtek My link

I have also caught whitefish in this lake, but they are very hard to catch and I only caught them at dusk with the mayfly hatch.

I do not believe you need live bait....leave the crank baits and rubber worms in the tackle box. Throw metal for the pike and jigs for the walleye.

I have been on lots of Canadian fly-in trips and I can share the list of items we bring.

Life vest

foil

rain gear

paper towels

towel

firestarters

sleeping bag/pillow

deck of cards

flashlight

first aid kit

ID for border (Passport)

two-way radios

camera extra-battery

toilet paper

bug spray

gallon zip lock bags

sunblock

quart ziplock bags

bed/head bug net

SOS Pads

prescriptions

duct tape

ipod

super glue

lighter

dish soap

fillet knives

sponge/scrubbie

personal beverage

garbage bags

camera extra-battery

mosquito coil

batteries

mosquito head nets

knit hat/gloves

paper plates ?

beverage container

plastic forks

GPS

Fish FInder

Claymores

Walleye Rods (lt-med)

Pike Rods (med-hvy)

jigs

leaders

Post some pictures when you get back and let us know how you did. :-)

Bret

For the 40+" pike, the only lure that consistently produces them up there are the dark colored MSB-125 made by Fishtek My link

I've spent a lot of time fishing up that way and always found the pike to be as dumb as a bag of hammers, regardless of size. Any brand of spinnerbait will work. So will buzzbaits, and weedless spoons. And Slug-Gos. And Mister Twisters. And just about anything else you want to throw at them. They're not exactly picky.

Having said that, it's worth paying extra to buy spinnerbaits (and buzzbaits) made out of titanium wire instead of regular wire. They don't catch any more fish, but the titanium wire is springier, so it stands up better to hard-core chewing.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

I have only been on 3 fly in trips, but have never used any live bait of any kind.....our main target fish is always walleyes with pike being #2 and bass being ho hum, who cares.

ALL BLACK BUCKTAIL jigs that I make are our #1 lure plus LOTS of other stuff I almost never use....

The end of May I would "think" would be the start of black fly season depending on temperatures (we always go much later in the year to avoid them)....so as previously mentioned....take LOTS of spray, etc....to protect yourself from the vampires....

Play it safe and I'm sure you will have a SUPER TIME,

Bob

I would never fly in minnows. If you're an ON resident bring a minnow trap and trap your own. Something I've done many times.

As far as live bait goes, I've been on 32 fly ins over the years and always bring a flat of worms packed in bedding to tip the jigs with.

Yes, you will catch plenty of fish on undressed jigs. But walleye cannot resist a jig tipped with a worm. You will catch more fish I guarantee. Especially if conditions turn sour and a cold front moves through. Even in the most amazing fish filled waters weather can shut the fish down believe me.

Live bait will help and it's cheap easy insurance.

Regarding Nettogami, I fished it once years ago and also stayed at the peninsular cabin.

We caught zillions of fish, although the majority of the walleye were on the smallish side. I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

Our best luck was had by following the outlet river several km's to another small lake that was teeming with fish.

Good luck!

What a great bunch of people here, thanks.....everyone for the links, tips and advice. We're settled on bringing some worms, definitely not minnows and a keg of bug spray (anyone know where to buy the stuff in bulk :rofl2: ).

The primary target is big pike, looking for a fish over 40" that has been very elusive for my buds and I. We've been within 1/2" (I couldn't give my buddy the satisfaction of being the first 40 :tease: ) and I had one at 38" that was a legit 20lber but would be nice for one of us to do both...

Thinking about bringing the fly rod for a whitefish or 2 just to say I did but big pike and some time spent on a walleye bonanza or three is the focus.

12 sleeps 'til take-off. :thumbsup_anim:

What a great bunch of people here, thanks.....everyone for the links, tips and advice. We're settled on bringing some worms, definitely not minnows and a keg of bug spray (anyone know where to buy the stuff in bulk :rofl2: ).

The primary target is big pike, looking for a fish over 40" that has been very elusive for my buds and I. We've been within 1/2" (I couldn't give my buddy the satisfaction of being the first 40 :tease: ) and I had one at 38" that was a legit 20lber but would be nice for one of us to do both...

Thinking about bringing the fly rod for a whitefish or 2 just to say I did but big pike and some time spent on a walleye bonanza or three is the focus.

12 sleeps 'til take-off. :thumbsup_anim:

Have a fantastic trip! If you fail in your quest for a trophy pike try here next time. :)

http://eddienorth.com/

I'm headed up there today, my group is flying in tomorrow. Stoked is not the word. :)

World class trophy pike.

Have a fantastic trip! If you fail in your quest for a trophy pike try here next time. :)

http://eddienorth.com/

I'm headed up there today, my group is flying in tomorrow. Stoked is not the word. :)

World class trophy pike.

Thanks Mike and yeah...that would've been great but family duties didn't allow enough adult "play time" for that destination. Hope you guys have a great trip, thanks for the advice you've provided over pm now get off the 'puter and go lay a beating on them gators. Safe drive, safe flight!!

• 4 years later...

Went to Edgar,

Did great. I myself got about 80 pik's and 80 pike. My biggest pike was 35" very wide ~ 15 pounds. However my brother got a 45", what a monster. We've typically done poorly with spoons (although I'm going to try Williams Whitefish this year). We caught the larger pike on large jerkbaits. Walleye trolling stickbaits and casting jigs_worm. Good pik fishing around the Island near camp.