Looking for catfish 'dip bait' in GTA area

Crush

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a very popular type of bait used for catfishing in the US. I guess it's only popular in the US because no one I've asked here, even at Basspro shops has any clue what it is.

Before I order from the US, I wanted to see if it was available anywhere here.

I guess most won't know what it is so here's a pic of the stuff I need:

Catfish Dip Bait & Rigs #2

How to use:

The bait doesn't attract carp and smells so good, that an otherwise stagnant catfish will come out of hiding just to eat it regardless of time of day. That's why it's so popular and works so well. :blush:

You know I have never had someone out fish me using a dip bait when I used good old freshly thawed chicken livers. I use a circle hook and a ounce or two of lead under it. The chicken liver needs to be hooked a few times and gently casted out. You will need to rebait after a strike but it is not a waste it is like chumming an area. The fresh chicken liver do not smell bad but does make your hands sticky. Give it a try you might find they are easier to find and will out fish your dipbait.

Art

You know I have never had someone out fish me using a dip bait when I used good old freshly thawed chicken livers. I use a circle hook and a ounce or two of lead under it. The chicken liver needs to be hooked a few times and gently casted out. You will need to rebait after a strike but it is not a waste it is like chumming an area. The fresh chicken liver do not smell bad but does make your hands sticky. Give it a try you might find they are easier to find and will out fish your dipbait.

Art

Yeah I wanted to use chicken livers but knew there was a net screen that I was supposed to use to keep it on a hook and didn't want the trouble and expense of the chicken livers.

I hear that shad is the best, then chicken liver, then in 3rd place is punch bait/dip bait. Then some swear to goodness that hot dogs beat out all three, but won't catch you a big fish.

There are some that think a quality push bait beats out anything. The scent comes off and carries down current and any catfish come out from hiding to nail it. Supposedly only the quality recommended ones do this.

Supposedly the catfish are a good quality white meat. Also, farmed 'basa' which is an asian cat fish, is used in a lot of the fish and chips we get in the food services industry.

Supposedly cat fish are under fished, in plentiful quantity, and difficult to catch by the 'average pass-time angler' unless you really know what you are doing and understand the fish (as you do as you mentioned the liver).

There's a 12 fish limit actually with a sports license. Always plentiful quantity. For whatever reason, people just don't like catfish. It's the old wifes tale of the stinging whiskers I guess and the fact it has nasty looking whiskers people don't like it. Also the rep of it being a bottom feeder.

Supposedly common carp tastes bad. I don't want carp. When I use bread I tend to catch carp.

Supposedly the push bait is the answer if you want something quick, very effective, and cheap. Here's a vid of the guy catching large blue in the daylight with push bait:

I think the reason there is not much "push baits" available in the GTA is the lack of decent catfish species around here. Plenty of bullheads around here caught a bunch when i was around 5 yrs. old from Lake Ontario marshes or trib estuaries.

There are some channel cats but not many. Lake Erie or GBay estuaries have more channel cats.

Good fishing :Gonefishing:

Actually many of your supposedly are actualities. I was just getting you started. ;) If you want to really get going yes shad cut into chunks on a 5/0 circle is a great way to get into some quality Cats. The chicken livers do not need the mesh wrap it seems to just slow you down and cuts down on the chumming effect. After the cats get over 10 lbs they become predators and readily take to chunks of shad. I have fished for Cats for many years and we have the blue cats down here locally. My best so far is 65 lbs and we get quite a few in the 30 -40 range if you learn to think like a Catfish. If you want a really good fish fry go for the 3 to 6 lb channel catfish they are excellent for the table. Here is a link to some fish that have been caught off my boat.(they are posted under Aplumma).

catfish pics

Art

I love eating Catfish and if you do grab near there fin or spine you can get stabbed with them and if I'm not mistakin some catfish have a minor poison on there fins. I catch channel cats alot out by lake erie I have my own spot that only a few locals go to and it's a good hole. I caught one the other day and he tasted great. Catfish also isn't really looked at in gross area for eating. I have been to plenty of resturaunts that have catfish on the menu. Just depends where you are looking and eating. Most places with a southern atmosphere have it.

Google Basa CTV report.... you may not want to eat it again....same thing goes for Tilapia..

Chicken liver should be cheap..every time you cook a turkey or chicken, freeze the liver on a non stick surface and when solid put it in a bag...then you have a supply that isn't a big lump....

Google Basa CTV report.... you may not want to eat it again....same thing goes for Tilapia..

Chicken liver should be cheap..every time you cook a turkey or chicken, freeze the liver on a non stick surface and when solid put it in a bag...then you have a supply that isn't a big lump....

I saw that report. I wouldn't eat it either.