Crappie Days

Garry2Rs

Got out this morning with the neighbours.

Fished the Buckhorn area. The action was fast from 8am until about 10 am. The fish were mostly shallow and around weeds.

After 10AM the schools seemed to disburse.

A blue and pearl mini tube was hot.

Best technique, after the first couple of fish were taken from a school, was to cast to the hot spot, then reel very slowly. This meant we had to lengthen the dropper from the bobber to keep the bait down...

We struggled yesterday to find any fish in numbers...we didn't get out til about 1pm so I guess we missed the flurry.

Friday evening the fish were on fire, despite the wind & rain.

We were shore fishing, so I`m not able to report on the water temp. We only had until noon, so with the high cost of gas we opted to leave the boats home and travel in one more fuel efficient vehicle...

We were shore fishing, so I`m not able to report on the water temp. We only had until noon, so with the high cost of gas we opted to leave the boats home and travel in one more fuel efficient vehicle...

This has been one strange spring...our usual spot has still not produced as it has in other years...we catch maybe 10-20 bluegills before we nail a crappy (if we get one at all)...

CPH and I were out in the boat last Thursday from 10:00AM to 05:00PM and probably caught 50 crappie between the two of us but we had to work hard to get them (saved 8 for his mom)...one spot that we caught probably 20 on Thurs produced one or 2 yesterday...go figuredunno.gif

Don't know the temps...but just saw my first dandelion of the season on Wednesday and no trilliums yet, they are usually in full bloom when we catch crappie...too many cold nights I guess...and barely any new weeds in the water...

Edited by Beans