GTA Slime

Gregoire

Got out today trying to catch my first fish of 2011. Made it to my spot by 9:30, caught my first fish before ten. I though it would be a good day, but it wasn't. The only good thing was that I avoided the skunk. I couldn't figure out the pattern. The fish I caught was sunning itself. I basted a body bait in scent and let it sit in front of it's snoot until it bit. The rest of the day I tried sight fishing, but couldn't find any more sunning fish. The Pike did not seem interested in anything I tossed at them.

A lot of bodies were out today. I remembered why I usually avoid opener weekend, as there are way too many people, but next weekend is a no go as I am working. The fiance almost shot me when I told her I was going fishing this morning, as we are moving on Monday, and there is a lot of packing to be done. The way I see it, I have all day Sunday to pack, as long as I don't decide to head out in the morning.

Anyway here is the pic. I forgot my OFC Tourney sign, but he was a small one anyway. You can't see it in the pic, but his tail was all torn up from the spawn.

c27d1203.jpg

He was a bit over 26 inches and swam away pissed at me for interrupting his tanning time. I'm hoping to get out a few more times before May runs out, as long as it doesn't result in me getting divorced before I get married.

I think I caught this guy right after he was spawning. I'm guessing all the injuries were a result of that. I've caught pike with spawning wounds before, but never that fresh. The base of his tail was literally rubbed raw. He seemed healthy though. I'm guessing the pike are still spawning, which seems weird as the water temperature is fairly warm. The water was pretty murky in places so maybe that influences the spawn as well. If pike were logical creatures it would make sense for them to spawn in murky water, as the roe would be less visible. I'm just throwing out an assumption.