Costco Sale - Bluefin Combo - Is it a good deal?

baal

8-17lb, I guess it could be considered Medium heavy if I'm not mistaken. I'd just be wary of spending a hundred bucks on a rod and reel that if ever broken, where would I be able to service it?? I've never heard of the brand. I'd stick to Quantum, Shimano or Abu Garcia combos.

Never heard of either. The rod seems bizarre, heavy with double foot guides and a foam grip. Surprisingly it has S.I.C. guides though. Still not enough to sway me into that purchase.

My guess is this rod/reel is mostly sold for light Saltwater use in the States.

Buy something name brand with warranty.

Edited by solopaddler

I've heard of Bluefin - it is a discount brand of light to medium-duty salt-water tackle, made in China and/or Indonesia, mainly sold at discount places in the southern US (solo, you hit it right on the head). You sometimes see this stuff in bait shops along Florida's Gulf Coast, for example, and I recently saw a whole display of it in a grocery store in Texas (no joke!).

The company in Asia that manufactures this stuff makes rods and reels for dozens of different brands that are sold all over the world. Some of it is reasonably decent quality, most of it is private label stuff no one has ever heard of.

Frankly, I would not buy this. First off, the reel weighs over 14 ounces!! That's a BIG reel. By comparison, a standard 2500 series Shimano Stradic is only around 9 ounces, or 50 percent less. Second, when the reel breaks you will never get parts for it - it's a total throwaway. Finally, based on the ones I've seen, that rod is going to be serious overkill for bass and walleye. It will be stiff enough you'll never be able to cast lighter baits and lures, and the foam rubber grips will guarantee you won't feel a whole lot of bites. (I've always wondered why anyone would take a graphite blank and insulate all that sensitivity with a chunk of foam rubber. Why????)

For the same scratch you can buy name brand gear locally, with warranty, so why take a risk buying something sight-unseen?? Pass, if I were you.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

I've heard of Bluefin - it is a discount brand of light to medium-duty salt-water tackle, made in China and/or Indonesia, mainly sold at discount places in the southern US (solo, you hit it right on the head). You sometimes see this stuff in bait shops along Florida's Gulf Coast, for example, and I recently saw a whole display of it in a grocery store in Texas (no joke!).

The company in Asia that manufactures this stuff makes rods and reels for dozens of different brands sold all over the world. Some of it is reasonably decent quality, most of it is private label stuff no one has ever heard of.

Frankly, I would take a pass. When the reel breaks you will never get parts for it, and I expect the rod might be serious overkill for bass and walleye. For the same scratch you can buy name brand gear, so why take a risk?

Hi Craig,

Thank you very much for sharing the information. It is really helpful! Yes I will definately skip it. I am in Toronto so I am going to Basspro this weekend to hunt a med-heavy rod and a reel, or a combo with reasonable price. This is all for my upcoming white bass/perch fishing in Windsor next weekend. That's why I need a solid combo:-)

Again, thank you all for the valuable opinions!

This is all for my upcoming white bass/perch fishing in Windsor next weekend. That's why I need a solid combo:-)

!

I would call Med/Heavy overkill for that! Med/Light or light would suffice for sure.