Fishing Big Worms

MCTFisher9120

Hey guys, well summer is fast approaching and although I can't touch a bass until August because of my work this summer I can't wait to get bass fishing. One of the techniques I'm adding to my skill list is fishing the standby for many people....Big worms!

I'm talking 10" Berkley Powerworms and the 10" Strike King Rage Thumper worm. A recommendation from JP was to use either a 7/0 or 11/0 Owner wide gap hook...Me I'm different so I bought 8/0 Lazer Tro Kar wide gap hooks for the terminal side and will fish them with straight 17lb Fluorocarbon for the season. Sliding 3/8oz, 1/2oz, & 3/4oz Tungsten weight was also suggested and what I will use to get the worm down ranging from 9ft-18ft of water on the fast drop off I have marked out and fished on my lake. There are big fish there and they love to move to the shallow bank during the evenings. My two biggest last year, a 5lb and a 5lb 8oz from last season were both over 22" in length and both were caught on the same straight bank...perfect place parking myself out deep and fishing from the weed edge across the flat into the deeper stuff.

What rod length's and actions do you prefer to fish worms with this technique and how do you fish them if you don't mind going into detail on what you learned, tips to share on the technique.

I have again a long time to fish this year(Every day of August I'll be camping where I was last year :P ) So I have lot's of time to play around and learn how to do it.

Hope to get some good feedback!

MTBF

Mike, there are some nice bass here too, but I very rarely use or see others using worms over 8 inches. I had a friend that worked for Berkley and would send me just about anything I wanted, just never saw a need to go that big.

You might find the evening - night bite on some lakes is a lot better than others. If the lake you are fishing has a good evening bite a 6-8 inch worm is probably big enough. They are moving from deeper water to shore to feed and it`s all about opportunity not size.

Usually if I wanted to eliminate smaller fish I will just switch to a lure with a bigger profile, like a lizard, same deal though 6-8 inch. Hooks? like comparing Chevy`s to Cadillac`s, my choice was Mustad Ultra Wide Gaps. Never used the Trokar`s, a buck and a half or two bucks a piece? I wouldn`t have been in a hurry to! marketing, I don`t fall for it often and never had any one handing me free hooks.

Any hooks I might own over 5/0 would be on a muskie or pike lure, not many bass around here 10+ pounds and it wouldn`t be a concern with a 5/0 hook.

I like banks with an edge, it`s nice to have some deep water around, not that it is always needed but it can be a plus, especially on lakes that get beat up with boat traffic. Shoreline features that may extend into the water, cuts, points, humps can also help, a stream entering may also.

Evening and night usually found me in deeper water pitching to shore or along the edge of the weedline. A flipping stick or 7 foot rod, 17 pound test stren original. Not really into big lead with out a good reason, punching through weeds, wind or current. Lower light conditions in the evening and night, not particularly worried about fish seeing the line or getting a good look at a soft plastic worm or lizard falling through the water column. A real worm or lizard rarely takes a fast dive, they just sort of slowly sink.

Remember opportunity feeders, the size of the food usually isn`t much of a factor, it`s getting it in front of their face. They can easily find a 1/8 ounce jig and pig, jig and plastic or 4 inch worm in the dark, whether you are swimming it slowly or dragging it even slower.