Furnace\AC advice NF

Hooked

I am looking at getting a new furnace\ac units installed. The guy who I chose to do the job suggested I go with a 2-stage Payne furnace and AC unit. He stated they are made by Carrier. He mentioned he prefers York, but likes the 10 year warranty that comes with Payne furnaces.

Does anybody on board here have experience with Payne Furnace\AC units? Or is there another recommended brand? Any advice would be helpful.

Every installer has a connection/account with any certain brand that they try to push..All the companies have different levels of mechanicals from old discontinued stuff of yesteryear at discount prices to the latest greatest quietest units that have lots of bling...what you want is a unit that is going to meet your requirements and a warranty package to back it up ( 10 years is good)...most installers will give you a one year waranty on workmanship...the mechanical manufacturers warranty is a seperate issue...you need to do your homework and price comparisons from each of the companies for the unit your installer referred...make sure you are pricing apples to apples eg two stage soft sound from Payne to Keeprite Tappan Lennox etc and weigh the warranties each supplier is offering on the units to their respective price

same goes for your compressor- seer to seer

I dont know too much about Payne but i have used Trane Carrier Keeprite Tappan and Lennox in my houses not because any given company is better or worse...but because the warranties seem to fluctuate from time to time...Lennox is way over priced in my area so i no longer use them Keeprite and Tappan are what i use the most of...Im sure some heating/cooling guys will pipe in sooner or later...there are a few on the board

Cheers

Good Luck

Edited by Twocoda

Payne/Carrier same unit, different colours and price, but same unit.

I work for the big C and I get employee discounts. I buy Payne.

A friend of mine showed me a furnace he had installed at his cottage. He wasn't sure what he bought.

The "Apply Logo Here" sticker was still visible. He laughed when I asked what he paid. I said I could probably tell him by the price.

Payne/Carrier same unit, different colours and price, but same unit.

I work for the big C and I get employee discounts. I buy Payne.

A friend of mine showed me a furnace he had installed at his cottage. He wasn't sure what he bought.

The "Apply Logo Here" sticker was still visible. He laughed when I asked what he paid. I said I could probably tell him by the price.

I had a Goodman furnace installed three years ago and am super happy and impressed by its efficiency. I know bleep about furnaces and a/c though???

Watch out for the 10 year warranty thing. To keep the warranty valid you may have have the unit inspected and serviced every year by that company or one that sells and services that line. My warranty inspections/servicing run about $ 200. a year + $ 190.00 for the special " Hepa" type air filter that we installed for my wife ( health reasons).

Edited by Tootsie II

I have a high efficiency Payne installed here, a good buddy of mine supplied and installed, (including new plenum and assorted ducting) for 1400.00 cash.... he works for a decent sized firm but did this on the side for me...

He swears by the carrier brand and has been doing this for 30+ years..

Anyways, I could not be happier... the unit has not given me one once of trouble in the 3 years since she was installed.

G