Fish Lifts

Hey,

I am a member of the CRAA, and was looking forward to doing some fish lifts on the Credit, but then read that you have to be 16 to do it, and I am 14. I am very disappointed to say the least...Anyways, I have two questions;

1. Is there anything at all I can do at Credit fish lifts, even just measuring or weighing fish- anything at all?

2. Do any other rivers around the GTA have fish lifts that have no age requirements?

Thanks,

Sean

Sean sorry the 16 age restriction is imposed by Kraft the property owner, and a rule we cant bend. We wanted to schedule a kids day this year but it didnt work out. Sorry Check the CRAA website as there are always opportunities to help with work or send me a pm

Sean sorry the 16 age restriction is imposed by Kraft the property owner, and a rule we cant bend. We wanted to schedule a kids day this year but it didnt work out. Sorry Check the CRAA website as there are always opportunities to help with work or send me a pm

That's unfortunate... I'm sure there are others like me who would like to get out and help. Is the restriction because of insurance or something?

As a corporation.. I'm surprised it's not actually an 18 year old limit. Otherwise if something happens without parental written authorization to participate Kraft could be sued if something happens.

So if I did have written parental authorization, is there a chance that they would allow it?

you have to be 16 to work in a factory ...so this is probably where they come up with the age to be on the property..

no worries Sean....youve got alot of good years ahead of you to contribute to your passion...in the mean time...grab a rod and go get em...

Good on ya though for wanting to help..

Cheers

As I totally understand,you would think Kraft, would sooner see the young ones of today ,doing good deeds,rather then the other crap. Come on. This day and age, is so "OUT OF TOUCH". :Gonefishing:

SEAN, GOOD ON YA FOR WANTING TO HELP OUT. Like said,yer young ,and will have your time.

Good on ya again .

Edited by Misfish

sean we are planning a stocking event soon let me know if this interests you, yes Kraft wants to have the optics of being a good corporate citizen, they own the land, the mnr has the easement on the fishway to operate it and we work under and agreement for the crown in this case.

Believe me the last few years have been interesting with mnr and the corporate world

I also miss the days when the parents brought kids to do this, one of the biggest volenteers in the club was 13 or so when he started lifting fish, now in his twenties and still at it

sean we are planning a stocking event soon let me know if this interests you, yes Kraft wants to have the optics of being a good corporate citizen, they own the land, the mnr has the easement on the fishway to operate it and we work under and agreement for the crown in this case.

Believe me the last few years have been interesting with mnr and the corporate world

I also miss the days when the parents brought kids to do this, one of the biggest volenteers in the club was 13 or so when he started lifting fish, now in his twenties and still at it

Milo,why all the Bull then? You say "last few years have been interesting with mnr and the corporate world"

Do they really care?

If they did,well,they would make changes. IMO

the problem is mnr has no money for nothing and they in many cases rely on stakeholders to do things, slowly the mnr wants to be big brother and let everyone do the work, but under thier rules, thier game plan, thier way, ohh god man I could go on for weeks we can bonk some whites in a few weeks and chew fat on it all day

For sure! A stocking event would be great! Anything I can do to help give back to the fishery that I enjoy so much.

I think I heard that there are fish lifts on either Soper Creek or the Ganaraska.. can anyone verify?

Thanks,

Sean

Hi Sean , we have enough people for the stocking day this spring but I am looking for someone to cover regular duties for one hour a week at our hatchery. Let me know if this interests you.

thanks

Joseph

Edited by Joseph

Sean, your interest and willingness to help is awesome and a lot of adults could learn from you. Sadly, as Louis posted, since 2009 we have not been permitted to have youth under 16 help or watch the lifts. My children loved to help when they were permitted and are always upset when they cannot even come and help/watch for the past two years (they are 7/9). Ironically, Mark, the CRAA volunteer who manages the fishway for us started volunteering at the lift when he was 12 and helped every year. He turns 24 this year. That speaks to the value of getting youth involved.

We will have 1-2 tree plants in May and other events so please check the CRAA website for updates and our newsletters if you can make an event. And you will be 16 in no time.

We hope youth will be permitted at the Norval fishway operation when that ladder is opened.

Thanks,

John

Hi Sean , we have enough people for the stocking day this spring but I am looking for someone to cover regular duties for one hour a week at our hatchery. Let me know if this interests you.

thanks

Joseph

It does interest me, but it would be about a 40 minute drive for one hour, doesn't make a lot of sense. Sorry, but I'm going to have to decline on that one. Thanks for the offer though.

Sean