Minn Kota troubleshooting.

Sherriff

I have a 24 volt, 70lb thrust bow mount Minn Kota Powerdrive unit. The motor was working great last weekend but this past weekend it would only turn right or left. I tried it with both the pedal and the remote from the copilot. Same results....So I can rule out a faulty pedal.

It still beeps when increasing or decreasing the thrust and I can hear it click when I try to turn it on.

Anyone experienced this before? Also, does anyone know how I can trouble shoot this to see where the issue is?

I checked the fuses(ok), pulled the prop to see if there was line wrapped on it(ok).

Batteries also at full charge...

Thanks for any info

Sherriff

Faulty Co-Pilot module, faulty board on the motor?

Try disconecting the co-pilot and running the motor without it and see if it works properly.

You can call up Minn Kota and they should be able to tell you what the problem is. They have been very good when I have called them in the past.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Get your self a multi meter if you don't have one and check all of your wires. I just replaced my board to find out that I had a pinch in my coil wire and the positive lead corroded and broke down causing it to loose connection. Cut the piece out re-wired it about 30 mins ago and she's ready to hit the water :)

You could also try hard wiring it right to your power leads to see if the motor spins. There's one you can access at the pc board and one at the top in the unit head. If it spins, it's most likely faulty wiring.

BTW the board is supposed to making a clicking sound when engaged in forward or reverse.

I had that happen on my maxpro 80. it turned out it was the main coil or whatever they call it in the bottom end of the motor. Basically, it got a bare spot (I use it alot) and I had that replaced at Aikmans for about 200 bucks and it works perfect. try turning it one at whacking the top or bottom end. if it works, then thats the problem.

Turns out that once I had the unit lower apart, one of the brushes was stuck in it's housing. It was not making contact. Cleaned it up and managed to get it moving freely again...Motor working again...

Great manual Peter.

Thanks everyone.

Sherriff