Pflueger Patriarch

Keenan

Reel is great in terms of weight as well as the bells and whistle... I tried it in the store and I personally find it felt a little bit weird, too 'geary' for my tastes.. tackle tour review states that the drag is not the most powerful one out there, but there are reports that Pflueger has already rectified the issue.

Other reels to look @ and compare: Shimano Stradic Ci4 (this is the one I have), Daiwa Fuego (probably the most refined out of the three but definitely the most $$)

As for the rod, I don't like it a single bit, it's tip heavy. What are you going to be using the combo for? There are so many rods out there to choose from, I don't even know where to start the recommendations.

Nice reel, silky smooth, light, looks cool..... That's about all I know about it. I know a few people that have the President's and love them so this must be at least as good but probably waaaay better. At that price point, you are looking at a Shimano Stradic, another great reel.

Reel is great in terms of weight as well as the bells and whistle... I tried it in the store and I personally find it felt a little bit weird, too 'geary' for my tastes.. tackle tour review states that the drag is not the most powerful one out there, but there are reports that Pflueger has already rectified the issue.

Other reels to look @ and compare: Shimano Stradic Ci4 (this is the one I have), Daiwa Fuego (probably the most refined out of the three but definitely the most $$)

As for the rod, I don't like it a single bit, it's tip heavy. What are you going to be using the combo for? There are so many rods out there to choose from, I don't even know where to start the recommendations.

I'll be mostly using it for throwing crank baits for smallies. thanks for the recommendations.

Nice reel, silky smooth, light, looks cool..... That's about all I know about it. I know a few people that have the President's and love them so this must be at least as good but probably waaaay better. At that price point, you are looking at a Shimano Stradic, another great reel.

I looked at the Stradic, liked the looks of this reel better but the Stradic is my second choice.

I have a 9525. Haven't gotten a chance to use it yet, but love the look of it. After reading the tackle tour review I was thinking about matching it with a pinnacle. Was also thinking about a cumara 6"8" dropshot rod.

The reel is so light you'll have to spend a bit on a rod light enough to match it up properly.

Awesome reel! Bought one from BPS sale few weeks ago.

Here is a review from TackleTour

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpfluegerpatriarchspin.html

The review only complains that its saltwater unfriendly and low maximum drag. Not applicable in Ontario and finesse fishing is what light spinning reels are meant for, so I don't really care about a low maximum drag.

Maximum stopping power is not what is important in a finesse reel. Smooth startup and line release is what is important. Too many people are hung up on maximum drag stopping power. In reality, would you actually want to lift 15-20 lbs with the tip of your rod? I wouldn't.

The drag, when used properly, is supposed to release line in a smooth controlled manner so as to allow the fish to run and tire itself out, while basically maintaining tension on the fish. It is to be used in conjunction with the rod and line to fight a fish, and all of these must be used together. Especially with so many people using braid these days, that is even more reason to not set your drag too tightly. Without any stretch, all of that tension is transferred to the rod. When using a fast action rod, there is not much shock absorbance in the rod itself. In this system, locking the drag down, with braid on a fast or extra fast action rod provides no give if the fish makes a run next to the boat. This can and will often lead to lost fish. I am mostly concerned about smooth drag rather than maximum stopping power.

Just my opinion.