Flouro Question.

Mike Pike

Ok, so I want to start using flouro for a leader( I know, I know, what took me so long, right? ). Anyhoo, I noticed that there's your flouro line by Berkley( which is relatively inexpensive )and then there is flouro leader line by companies like Seagar( considerably MORE expensive ).

The flouro leader line was sold in lengths of like 25 yards, which I could see myself going through on a single morning at Port Dalhousie. :(

Sooooo... what's the difference? Do any of you guys use the Berkley for your leader or do you go with the more expensive stuff?

Edited by Mike Pike

I tried the berkley vanish flouro when it first came out it sucked brittle and prone to breaking, I have had a spool of seagar 12lb for a couple of years I am happy with it and a small spool of frogshair flouro ,20lb that I use for I tie on my braid fo bassin and it is great same leader on one rod for pretty much whole season very tuff stuff.

More flourocarbon content in Seagar, while Lines like P-line are a Co-polymer/Flouro mix (Elements of Flourocarbon with in the line.)

Feel free to correct me if Im wrong?

I've not seen a berkley flouor mix yet?

Maybe I have to get out more :P

Thanks for the responses guys. The tackle tour stuff was amazingly thorough.

But here's what I'm wondering. A 250 yard spool of Berkley Vanish flouro is about $15 while a tiny 25 yard spool of Seagar flouro cost even more!!! I was wondering what the difference would be.

I guess my question stems from watching Charlie Wray on the tube this morning who said that flourocarbon line as a leader is NOT the same as a proper( expensive )flourocarbon leader, but unfortunately he didn't go into any explanation.

Edited by Mike Pike

Thanks for the responses guys. The tackle tour stuff was amazingly thorough.

But here's what I'm wondering. A 250 yard spool of Berkley Vanish flouro is about $15 while a tiny 25 yard spool of Seagar flouro cost even more!!! I was wondering what the difference would be.

I guess my question stems from watching Charlie Wray on the tube this morning who said that flourocarbon line as a leader is NOT the same as a proper( expensive )flourocarbon leader, but unfortunately he didn't go into any explanation.

I had the same question as you Mike, concerning the difference. I emailed Seaguar about it and they emailed me a chart. I'll send it to ya, there is a big difference. The spools with 200yds+ are meant to use as a main line. As mentioned in the TackleTour tests, they said the limper lines were weaker. If you check out the 25 yd spools, you'll see how stiff they are. Anyways Mike, I'll try to attatch it to a PM or I'll just email it to ya.

Ted

Mike,

What's the leader for? If it's for toothy creatures like pike and muskie, Berkely Vanish is no good. Actually, Vanish is good for nothing--it's brittle, it breaks easily, and it's just all around aweful... worst line ever.

A 25 yd spool of Seaguar may not seem that long, but it will give you plenty of leaders. My pike leaders range from 8 to 16 inches; there are 900 inches in 25 yards; and assuming an average length of 12 inches for a leader, that means I can get 75 leaders out of a single 25 yd spool. Even if I make longer leaders, say 2 ft, I can still get 37 leaders out of the spool. I used to buy pre-made fluoro leaders, costing around 8 to 10 bucks each.

It's no brainer; go with Seaguar. Vanish will give you nothing but trouble.

Mike,

What's the leader for? If it's for toothy creatures like pike and muskie, Berkely Vanish is no good. Actually, Vanish is good for nothing--it's brittle, it breaks easily, and it's just all around aweful... worst line ever.

A 25 yd spool of Seaguar may not seem that long, but it will give you plenty of leaders. My pike leaders range from 8 to 16 inches; there are 900 inches in 25 yards; and assuming an average length of 12 inches for a leader, that means I can get 75 leaders out of a single 25 yd spool. Even if I make longer leaders, say 2 ft, I can still get 37 leaders out of the spool. I used to buy pre-made fluoro leaders, costing around 8 to 10 bucks each.

It's no brainer; go with Seaguar. Vanish will give you nothing but trouble.

I believe he is thinking of using it a Port Dalhousie. You get snagged up alot there. Not only with rocks, but other fisherman. So I do see his concern in that respect. But the apps you mention Golfisher, I agree 100%. I've had a 25yd spool of Seaguar leader material for 3 years now!

I use 12 lb test Berkly Vanish fluoro line when tying hair rigs for carp fishing...

Seems to work ok attached to 17 lb test Berkly Trilene XT...

Lots of zebra encrusted rocks at Carp Point that slice any leader/line we use...

I used berkley vanish as well, the only problem was that it is really thin and it tangles alot. Not that great for casting ethier. I bought my self a 25 yard spool of seaguar and it is great. But if you are looking to spool your whole rod you can buy 300 yards of seaguar fluro fishing line for 21.99

How is Seaguar for main line as opposed to leader? Casts better than Vanish, I hope?

I don't mean to hijack Mike's thread, but I'd like to hear fluoro recommendations for main line.

I have a chart emailed to me from Seaguar distinguishing the differences. But the leader material is much stiffer, more abbrasion resistance..... If you want it Golfisher, let me know, I'll email it to ya.

Thanks for the repsonses all!

Golfisher, as Hooked said, I was primararly looking for a good flouro leader choice fishing migratory trout in what is a really snag infested harbour/river. I usually use 4-feet of leader on a 3-way rig there so you can see if I have to re-tie 2 or 3 times in a day, how quickly I'd go through a 25 yard spool.

I think I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and buying the 6lb Seagar flouro leader line anyways because if it's the difference between catching a fish and not, it's worth it to me.