Family Fishing Resort Referral

rdambros

I am planning my family's first (hopefully annual) fishing trip and would like referrals from people on this forum.

I have a family of five, with kids 16, 13 and 10. My family and grandma and grandpa want to spend a WEEK in northern Ontario at a fishing resort.

My requirements would be a resort that can accommodate children with activities. I would also like an all-inclusive ("American Plan"), boat rental, and fishing guides. It would be nice if it had a pool and a sandy beach.

We are planning to go the second week of July.

OH, of course the fishing has to be GREAT. Any personal experiences and recommendations/referrals would be greatly appreciated.

I am planning my family's first (hopefully annual) fishing trip and would like referrals from people on this forum.

I have a family of five, with kids 16, 13 and 10. My family and grandma and grandpa want to spend a WEEK in northern Ontario at a fishing resort.

My requirements would be a resort that can accommodate children with activities. I would also like an all-inclusive ("American Plan"), boat rental, and fishing guides. It would be nice if it had a pool and a sandy beach.

We are planning to go the second week of July.

OH, of course the fishing has to be GREAT. Any personal experiences and recommendations/referrals would be greatly appreciated.

I can recommend these two boat-in lodges on Lady Evelyn Lake for decent fishing, beautiful environment and decent food:

Island 10

Garden Island Lodge

Unfortunately, I am not sure about children's activities though beyond your standard fishing, swimming, canoes and paddleboats. No pool or sandy beach on the lodge islands though (although, there might be a beach someplace on the lake to dock a boat and swim).

I also stayed at Red Pine Lodge on Ivanhoe Lake. They have an AMAZING beach and do have an American Plan available (but I did not partake in it during my stay). The lake is nice and the fishing is quite good. The motors on the boats were not the best, but ours worked fine - others had some problems. I don't know if there is a guide service, but there is usually a guide available at most places (always extra $$ of course). The only downside of this lodge is that it's also a rather large trailer park and wasn't what I would describe as a typical fishing lodge. Most of the cottages are somewhat away from the park and on the beach, but it might not feel much like a 'wilderness get away' since it's quite busy. Anyway, of all the places I have been to for a fishing trip it's the best beach I have ever seen. Air Ivanhoe also has a lodge on the lake that might be worth looking into. Not sure if they have a nice beach as well though.

Good luck on your search. Book soon!!

edit: I have never been, but heard decent things aboutBrennan Harbour resort

Edited by FishLogic

Has anybody stayed at the WaterFalls Lodge. It looks like it would fit my requirements.

www.waterfallslodge.com

Camped there many years on our treks around Ontario, but never stayed in the lodge or even went inside same. We always camped on the lower lake below the falls. Didn't catch much but pan fish and perch with the kids down there. Told the upper lakes are better.

You asked about Horwood in the other thread.

It's a very good fishing lake (reservoir actually), but imo may not be exactly what you're looking for if activities for your kids are important.

The other lodges mentioned on Lady Evelyn are also very similar: decent fishing on a water access reservoir.

It's a bit of a tough call. I can recommend a bunch of great camps, but most are primarily fishing camps. Depends on what your expectations for other activities are.

One of the best camps I know that really caters to families is Happy Day Lodge on Windermere lake near Chapleau. Only problem is they're most likely booked.

http://www.happydaylodge.com/

As mentioned I can offer up a bunch of good fishing camps if you're interested.

One that stands out is Brennan Harbour Resort in the north channel of lake Huron.

Great walleye fishing and a very nice camp:

http://www.brennanharbour.com/

Romeo, I just saw a fishing show (Fish TV I think) this weekend with special guest Owen Nolan - my absolute favourite hockey player ***as a Nordique*** and the show was filmed at Waterfalls Lodge. They were landing decent walleye in the 5 lbs. range. I know these shows are editied but the scenery was awesome and the fish caught on the show were beautiful golden walleye.

Hey Romeo, Check out Coles Point Resort on the trent river..They have everything you are looking for. http://www.colespoint.ca/ they cater to the kids with a TON of activities for them. Thier cottages are nice, clean and well looked after. They dont offer a guide but you can manage with Great fishing just about anywhere on the water. Anyway have a look and if you do decide to call them ask for Scott. Tell him Ron Ritchie sent ya.. he will work out a good deal for you..Enjoy your week where ever you decide to stay!!

One of the best camps I know that really caters to families is Happy Day Lodge on Windermere lake near Chapleau. Only problem is they're most likely booked.

http://www.happydaylodge.com/

This lodge seems to have a serious repeat business so it's hard to find an opening during the prime times. Always worth a call though because you never know and people do cancel. As an aside, the owners recently finalized purchase of Prairie Bee Camps which is also in the Chapleau region on Prairie Bee Lake. Unfortunately I have not been to either camp but Prairie Bee has also been recommended to me in the past. Worth a look anyway.