Quinte Help Please

snagmaster

Hey guys looks like you had a great time on Quinte last weekend. I would of been there but i had the flu. Im heading up to picton on sat for the day and its my first time.Needless to say i need some advice.WE are going to be using planer boards and down riggers or dypsies depending on which is better. Here is my questions.

where can i launch near the ferry?

what depth should i be fishing?

choice of lures (colours, brands) ?

trolling speed?

line selection ?

which one should we use down the middle ? rigers or dypsies?

do dysies spook the eyes?

thanks alot guys for the help. Ive been dreaming of a 10lber all season......lol

ill be heading to bass pro to pick up gear that you suggest.

ill post a report when i get back.

ps. the weather is suppose to be sunny and warm if it makes a difference. feel free to PM me

You can launch right at the Ferry..but you have to take it across to the North shore to do so...free..runs every 20 minutes 6:30 to 1am. There is also a Marina almost down to the Ferry on the South shore you can launch at.

Everyone has there idea of what trolling speed should be. Some are .7 to 1mph others are 1.8 to 2.1 I found my boat with two pails draggin...two rigger balls down...two big Canon boards out and 4 lines does 1.9 to 2.1. We caught fish.

We caught on all makes...TD-11..Manns 20..Reef Runner and a spoon even. Colours that worked changed each day it seemed.

Good to mention HH...last year the guys that didn't even hit the reach did better than everyone else. They just fished in front of the cement plant right there in Picton. Also keep in mind that the roughest piece of water can be the area just WEST of the Ferry in that big open gap...so if you have a smallish boat keep that in mind for your launch spot. There are other launches along the shore. One in McFarlen (i think) Park just east of the Sportsman Inn. Others further down the reach past the Ferry..but take some work to find the first time.

Take everything, as long as you can get the bait deeper than 20 ft. Run long lines, either off planer boards or downriggers, or even flatlining. Snap weights have their fans too.

Wayne, the launches are easy to find from the water, just look for the docks.

:Gonefishing: Well if you want to get them you have get out early before there is too much boat traffic.last saturday the fish turned on at 8 and by 9 the bite died.I am sure because of the congestion.if you don.'t have boards pick them up they really make a difference.I caught one eye flatlining with a purple spoon with a 1 oz clip weight 40 ft ahead of the weight.2 more caught on mann's stretchmann 20's watermelon,blueberry muffin was also working .You have to try new lures often different colors.Zig zag the boat it vairies the speed of the lure :thumbsup_anim: .1 fish flatlining and 3 off the boards.when it is dark don't be afraid to go big .Largeur lures can be seen from a further distance.I like to use lures with alot of white on them at night.The last fish was caught on a yozuri hydro minnow white with light fire tiger markings.this is a a 7 inch muskie lure .If your going to use riggers try and stay above 30ft so the walleyes swim bladder does not swell.speaking to alot of the OFC guys this weekend there were alot of different lures producing.Reef Runners,rapala husky jerks ,rapala deep diving tail dancers,mann's 20's are usually the top producer.this was the first time I tried them and I really like, them they do produce.Some american guys were dragging around dead minnows on a bait rig and they were doing well.

Bring an extra life raft just in case you see the people who were fishing in a canoe on saturday .There is a good chance if they go back out they will swamped by a wave from another boat.

Good Luck I hope you get some I hope to hear your report next week.Get a good night :sleeping_02: and :worthy::Gonefishing: this wil make you :D : .

Mike the Pike