Niagara River Steelhead

a.cortellessa

Here's another tidbit I forgot to mention- "freshly dead smelt being used outside the water it was taken from is not legal" Reason is that the eggs may still become fertilized if the smelts had been mixed in the same bucket/container. Imagine trying to enforce that one!

Who thought smelt for bait was so complicated?? :huh:

BTW, sorry for jackin' your thread Anthony73.

Spoons, spinners will be good when the temps are up like they have been lately, but as BillM said, minnows/imitations(gulp), and in another month or less, roe.

The Volley is back to you wallacio.... :D .....since this whole thread including the title is about the NIAGARA RIVER I'm safe to assume it's LEGAL and OK to use the damn bait.... :rofl2:

It's Illeagle to use live smelt in the Niagara River as bait, if the MNR catches you with live smelt in your bait bucket your busted, simple !!!!!.The rule is the same for goby, just because the invasive specie's is present in the waters fished it does not exclude you from the law!!I'm not 100% sure on dead smelt , but I think they are leagal bait in Ontario in most WMU, so I would expect dead smelt would be OK.There a freaking killer in Port D in the winter hahaha

Here's another tidbit I forgot to mention- "freshly dead smelt being used outside the water it was taken from is not legal" Reason is that the eggs may still become fertilized if the smelts had been mixed in the same bucket/container. Imagine trying to enforce that one!

Who thought smelt for bait was so complicated?? :huh:

This is somthing I always thought about, using smelt for bait is always a pain in the bum every time I used it, except dead sticking pike, for trout use a streamer in the Niagara. Lot less problems and they work, I tried smelt a few times with varied sucsess but streamers work when the trouties get on a smelt bite.

Anyway Dude was out today at Port D, not the lower and it was a good bite between 9am and 11am , I think the lower may be dirty given the winds. Anyway I went 2 for4 from 10am- 11am then noth'in, I was fishing roe pink or green didn't matter, in the afternoon I fished the drifts with roe, streamers and rubber minnows nothing. The fish were still there they were poping over my baits all afternoon, but were just playing.The bite right now seems to be for about an hour in the morning, this not unussual for this time of year, you'll also get a bite at 6pm-7pm but not as strong