Baitcasting rod strength

scugpg

Guys I'm trying to decide which strength of rod I should go with. I already have a M baitcaster and a MH spinning, so was thinking of either a MH or ML baitcaster. I don't really drop shot but was wondering how the ML would fair out using senkos in not so weedy areas. Or do you think the MH would be the better bet?

go with a med/hvy. when ur dealing with any kinda cover, u'll appreciate that extra strength. med/light is kinda useless in a baitcaster as for as im concerned. unless like u mentioned u like dropshotting or finesse fishing with a caster. i hada med/light casting rod designed for lipless crankbaits. but the power on it was more closely to to a medium power. the med/hvy will give u a few more options when it comes to tossing different baits.

For weightless senkos I prefer a Medium Extrafast. I find it to be a tad more sensitive than the MH's and the XF taper still give me enough backbone to pull fish out of weeds if need be.

The medium rods I use are

Medium Moderate action fiberglass composite for crankbaits

Medium XF for Weightless Senko

For dropshotting I prefer a Spinning rod and use a Medium Heavy XF

I use a MH F for finess jigs and weigthed senkos

a ML is not gonna be all that great in a baitcaster, would be a good multipurpose rod for specks to panfish, but for dropshotting I would go with the MH but in a spinning rod.

a MH XF casting rod is a great all arounder, crank baits, jerkbaits, spinner baits, worms, tubes, carolina rig can all be fished pretty well with a good quality MH XF rod.

If your gonna do any jerk baits go with a 6'6" if jerkbaits are out I would go with a 7' rod

I have made the swith to 7footers on all but my jerk bait rod and dock skipper.

Another thing to consider when buying a rod based on its strength and flexibility is that no two manufacturers rate them the same way.

Jedi has it pretty well spot on in my opinion.

well put jedi.

but on a dropshot, i would go with a medium power. but its a personal preference. all the rods i use are designed by me.

my dropshot rod is my baby, i use it more then any other rod and catch a ton of fish on i. 6'10" medium xtra fast. weightless senkos i use a 6'8" medium xtra fast rod. i throw a lot of wacky rig senkos for largies.

only baitcast i have in a medium is for jerkbaits and topwaters and its a 6'4" medium xtra fast.

anythin else u wanna know just ask!

It really comes down to preference and rod manufacturer. I find the st croix rods are a bit more sensitive so you can get away with a bit heavier rod, but I find the shimanos are a bit stiffer in the backbone so I like those for yankin fish out of cover... It's all about preference. One thing everyone can do when picking rods is to read the info on st.croix website about the mojo bass series. They pretty much lay out every rod and action for bass and tell you why each rod is this or that. Then use that info as a guide to make your purchase, even if it's not a st croix rod the info applies. But when in doubt a mh xf rod is about as all around as you can get.

The st croix premier, mojo bass, compre are all very nice rods for the money. My baby rod is the Cumara. That's a bait caster with a curado e7 that I use for finesse jigs.