TDunn

Just a quick report and pictures of some my recent outings. Overall fishing hasn’t been great. Tough conditions and finicky fish are famous for February, so I have been trying to make the best of it. Seems to be the trend....

The perch and other panfish have been steady with good catches on most outings. Pike on the other hand have been my biggest disappointment of the season. There has been 3 pike hooked in the 35-42" range in the past 2-3 weeks and each one has been on perch gear. Tip-ups are always out with dead bait and quick strikes which have been catching fish just not the big ones. Ive also been jigging for them with lipless cranks, big spoons and white tubes....yet they hit the smallest jigging rapala tipped with a waxie on my ultralight? :dunno: This body of water has a pike season that closes on tues until may 1. Bummer....

Anyways the perch should continue to bite consistently and if I have the itch for pike in March. There is a spot off Superior I have in mind...

Some good eats...

105.jpg

109.jpg

120.jpg

157.jpg

Up north we are getting a few whities mixed in with the perch

159.jpg

Getting up to the park has been interesting the past 2 weeks. Highways have been closed, snow squall driving conditions and a freezing cold wind has been the ordinary up until late. A cousin and I, took to the bush one afternoon snowshoeing a mile or so into a lake for the afternoon bite. Dr.S mentioned to me that he had fished the area and 40 fish days were not uncommon. Well he was right on the money, we landed about 20 on our half day session. No trophies but some outstanding action and some good looking fish. Biggest went 17". Micro tubes tipped with waxies, minnow heads and 1” Gulp worked awesome and a Storm Jigging Wildeye or Jigging Rap tipped with the same also produced for us.

All but 1 fish released...

113.jpg

134.jpg

136.jpg

138.jpg

139.jpg

141.jpg

140.jpg

148.jpg

Coughing these up!

150.jpg

We headed for a great lake in LSPP again but due to poor walking conditions we had to resort to Plan B. This lake gets pounded and isn't known for great fishing but we made due.

129.jpg

128.jpg

Took a good ride out of town and hit a lake with inland rainbows. Had a good buddy that was home for the weekend with us on this afternoon. When we finally hooked into a fish he was handed the rod. Boy was he happy with this inland beauty!

155.jpg

Video of the last few minutes of the fight!

Bow Fight

The next few weeks are going to really heat up. I’m already excited for last ice and the upcoming thaw!

Steelhead are on my mind.....

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Nice job buddy. I got skunked on the 'put n take' lakes this weekend so I may have to take my first snowshoe trip of winter next weekend for some redemption. Too many lazy weekends this winter! At least I got my shower re-grouted!

Luc

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus