Is my cynicism waning? NF

Dave Bailey

Well, I was fully expecting some people (not necessarily here) to start grumbling about how a bunch of malcontents in North Africa were making things difficult for us when we went to the gas station. Instead I've only heard them griping about how the oil companies are using it as an excuse to gouge us again.

Maybe I've been hanging around the wrong people for too long, but I find it refreshing that people are actually caring that there seems to be a genuine push for democracy, human rights, justice, and all the other things we hold dear in this country. It doesn't seem to matter that they are a different ethnicity, religion, or language, we seem to be seeing their fight as much more important than our inconvenience.

And that's a good thing.

Each step a people and a country take towards democracy, brings the world a little farther away from international conflicts that could end in global catastrophy.Most of us are rooting for the people of Libya and other struggling people, to gain thier democracy before a more powerful nation decides to intervene.whistling.gif

dictatorships have no place in the modern world....and if this wasn't occurring in Libya, the powers that be that run the oil would find some other excuse to jack up gas prices...

Too true. I can remember a few years ago when Venezualan oil workers were fighting for better pay and working conditions, and people were saying things like 'crack a few heads', and 'send in the army to run the wells and refineries'. But when a group of OPEC billionaires decide they and their investment partners want to make more money they cut back on production, and it's called 'responding to market forces'. :glare:

Gadhafi is a nut bar, no doubt. I cant believe the UN hasnt stepped in to take control of the chaos there. He should be charged along the same line that Saddam was, crimes against humanity. He's already got away with murder before; Lockerbie bombimg. You gotta love the sculpture of the golden fist rising from the ashes of his bombed out compound clutching an american f-18, priceless!

IMHO, Our gas prices are affected more by speculative day traders than what is happening in Libya. All their oil goes to Europe...

What kills me is that there is no correction in these fluctuations, EVER!

New boss same as the old boss!!!

There will always be unrest in the middle east for three obvious reasons the first is the hate between the muslims and the jews and of course oil! And of course it does not help when the west is always messing around politcally in there affairs!!!

Call me a cynic but history as proven the above to be correct and IMHO will continue to do so!