Going to BOQ

lovetofish

I'm going to BOQ for the first time through the ice and I don't really have much experience with jigging. I was wondering how to: tip a spoon with a minnow (verticle or horizontally)

how to use a stinger hook

how to work the rod

how big of a minnow to use or just the head

Some of the spoons I have bought are swedish pimple, buckshot, rattl'n flyer, live forage minnow and fire eye jig. Anyone ever tried the lindy darter, picked up a couple of those too, looked interesting. Any of your thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

lovetofish

My go to jig there is a half and half #60 hammered williams ice jig. Take off the side hooks, and tip with 1-3 minnows depending on thier size. The key is to keep jigging, all day. Don't stop. If you have electronics, bring them for sure, and use them.

I've also had good luck on macho minnows (same as a Mr. Champ), buckshots, and pimples. Jig like mad. Your trying to get them in for a look at your lure, then you gotta make them bite. I will jig something big (williams) most times they will hit it, if they won't I have a second rod ready with a smaller bait on it that I will drop down to them if they don't show interest.

Key is to be jigging when they come thru. They don't live in any one particular area, they just cruise thru. If your screwing around when they pass by, you get nada. Jig like a madman, and you should get some action.

S.

Real good advice here :thumbsup_anim: just to add another tip, make sure that the weight of your lure matches the current your fishing in... meaning you want to have a vertical presentation. If your line is sideways while jigging, it's not heavy enough, change it... you want to have your line straight down :)

Good luck lovetofish

Leechman

Thanks so much guys. I have done what they call rip jigging in the Kawartha's in the summer for up to 7 hours at a time, so hopefully i can stay on it. Hope to have some pics to put into a report. Were going through an operator named Fish Finder Charters, was reccomended by Fishunter. Thanks again for the advice guys!!!

I've never used more than 1 minnow, my hot lure this year has been the jigging rap. I run stinger hooks on all my lures, can't tell you how many times I've had them just grab the tail, you go to set and just feel it tear. I don't fish electronic so I don't know when they're there, just going by feel. I'm sure if ya had a flasher you could play with them a bit more, the one guy I fish with has one and actually lets em go back down a few feet before setting the hook!! I fish 2 rods using 2 different lures, no real pattern with my jigging, just constantly moving to try to attract em, I've had em bump one lure then smash the other! Perch, white, green and gold are all very good choices!