Bow hunting

Pigeontroller

To start bow hunting for turkey besides broadheads for your arrows, equipment wise would want to purchase the appropriate camo for the area and season, a selection of calls (these you will need to practice with to get good), a ground blind could be of use as well as some decoys. The biggest thing you need though is patience. Also I'd recommend a lot of practice and to remember to sight in your broadheads before you go. They will fly different than your field points. For hunting I prefer a good carbon fiber arrow to aluminum.

For deer a tree stand would be a good addition to your equipment but not essential.

You should also insure that your bow is in good order, (I'm assuming a compound) and that you are at least pulling 40lbs or more. Don't get too carried away with cranking the weight way up as accuracy is more important than energy. I personally have my bow set at 58lbs for hunting. A weight I'm comfortable with that's about 6lbs heavier than my regular target bow.

It is a good idea to learn how to set up, adjust and tune your own bow. Understanding this will improve your accuracy and consistency.

Also keep in practice year round. At the start of every hunting season at the archery lanes I use to practice at daily, guys would start showing up a week before season, having not touched their bows all year and start trying to sight them in. Most didn't even know how to do this and they would have the weight maxed out and could hardly draw their bows little lone hold them steady. As an archer and hunter it use to make me cringe.

Edited by Old Man

Definately a pop up/tent ground blind for turkey with a bow. It will be difficult to draw a bow in the open with a turkey 20-30 yards away. I prefer to hunt turkey with a shot gun, no chasing and looking for them. You need full camo preferably real quiet stuff like wool and full face mask. For deer because its a 3 month season you need layers, good warm boots, hand muffs. For equipment a good short knife for gutting, good bright flashlight, some rope or other gear to drag,flagging tape and a gambrel/hoist. I like to use a bleat call. Of course some of this gear is optimistic for the end of a successful hunt but if you put a deer down or have to look for one you'll need it.

Forgot to mention, binoculars for both. That way you can check something out from a distance without getting up and spooking game. I've found in a forest hunt turkeys sometimes will use the trees for cover and sort of loop around towards you and if you can see them 100-200 yards away before they see you first at 30 yards you'll have a better chance.

you need your H1 license and you have to take the course associated. You are far better off just getting your full gun linces and gun hunting permit, You can always not use a gun. The full combo is done over a weekend, then you will need to go take the turkey course, by a tag and find a place to hide.

The first thing i would do is get a tree climber, it gives you a huge advantage over a ground blind and could be a season breaker. Practice shooting from it as well, just don't use the telephone poles in the front yard, it makes the neighbors nervous dry.gif