Binbrook Conservation Area - Dissappointment

Uncle Buck

Hit Binbrook today...

it was a disappointment in terms of service...

first i got ripped off at the gate , not much, but not the point...

then was told that since not fishing the derby that i have to fish west of the x-mas trees...

get there to find that they put a chain to not be able to access the parking lot down by the old "boat launch" with a vehicle...

start walking and got buried a few places in waist high snow... lots of fun... no access point at the ice either... great

i'm 6'6" and barely managed to get out/unstuck getting on/off the ice... would hate to have seen what would have happened to a shorter person...

then find no garbage cans in the area to throw out the garbage, only trash can i seen was at the front gate...

seen a snowmobile towing a private hut back to shore also??? what gives there??

left around 3pm and went in to let the people at the gatehouse know how i felt and find that it's locked up and they are gone...

what a joke... seriously not impressed!!

With 360 derby participants what would you expect?... Normally the old boat ramp is closed because it has a hill that's not paved and there's always someone that will get stuck. There may not be staff to tow your vehicle as well...

As for the snowmobiles, they were there to haul out the equipment and prizes for the derby and to monitor fishermen...the weigh station and bbq was out in the middle of the lake. Feel free to volunteer next year to make things go smoother... very few that were helping were paid employee's....

not expecting much...

but when they FORCE you to fish west of the x-mas trees, then they should at least provide access and closer parking...

last year i also didn't fish the derby, but they cleaned the access down to the parking lot...

as for cars getting stuck on the hill, call a tow truck... when you get your car stuck in the snow on the road, you dig it out or call a tow truck...

you don't expect the city to send a tow truck to get you out... same applies here...

hauling out huts/gear should have been done by hand/foot... if you can't pull it, don't take it...

i leave my power auger at home most of the time to reduce how much weight i have to pull...

that's my problem and i don't expect others to pull my gear out... same should have applied here...

so only on derby day they pull peoples gear out... awesome, for the 1 time a year, many of these people come, they get this service/privelage. what about the people that go there on a regular basis?

As for Volunteering, yes that's an option, however for me it's not an option,

with the limited amount of time i have, i'd rather fish, then help out... but that's just me

also why was the gate house closed/locked up at 3pm?

welcome to the NPCA.... they are a complete joke. I could go on for hours how poorly Lake Niapenco is ran. I still remember camping there as a kid (trailer park)... I do know this.. the parking is horrendous when the gates are closed.

Edited by Gerritt

Why does anyone even go there?! Stunted, rare crappies and nothing else. Wow. 20 bucks a line for the derby, if you dont pay for 2 rods then you cant use a hut, cuz you could be "cheating" with 2 lines in your hut. lmao what a joke!

There will be a new park superintendant next year...maybe things will change... As for the fishing I would think a lot of people would disagree that it sucks.... A trap net this summer held over 700 crappie and the pike are starting to show up after a couple of good year classes. We have seen a few walleye from the stocking we have done and just ask anyone that has fished bass there how well they are doing. We are working on more fish structure over the next few years...time and money..lol. Someone dropped the ball in regards to where they sent you to fish although many of the regulars would love to fish west of the trees...

As for the snowmobiles pulling huts out..no,not unless there were some that struggled in the heavy wet snow and the guys were helping them out...Like I said we used the snow machines to pull our sleds full of equipment...small sleds = 15 or so trips....

I work with the Glanbrook Conservation Committee, no one is paid and we are not responsible for the prices to enter...We raise money selling food and drinks... Fishing world gives over 2000 dollars in prizes away with no money for them from the tickets..The entry fee is about the same as most derbies. They could always go back to the days where the park was closed in winter and anyone entering could be charged with tresspassing. Campgrounds don't make money for conservation areas... 24hr staff and facilities cost too much..it's break even with good weather...

I wouldn't be angry about a closed season during winter on such a small lake. Especially when you go to that small lake and see 300 huts as if it's Lake Simcoe. You're telling me that everyone in Hamilton and their brothers from out of town fishing that reservoir all winter is good for any fish populations?

The crappies were over populated for several years so there was an imbalance. When we set traps 18 years ago they were full of them, so many that other fish in the lake suffered. There is still a good population of them but lately we have seen other species like perch increase. When trap netting or fishing it was almost unheard of to see perch. 300 huts for a one day derby tends to slow the fishing down so it's not like everyone catches a dozen fish each. We know the population is getting smaller due to the average size being bigger than in the past. This also helps with other species in the lake.....At almost 500 acres it isn't a huge lake but it's big enough to support the ice fishing that a normal day would have.. Plus you only allowed something like 50-100 acres to fish in with the rest of it off limits......

Stunted, rare crappies and nothing else. Wow. 20 bucks a line for the derby

stunted and rare are definatly both words i wouldn't use to describe the crappie fishing there, i'm not sure where you have focused your efforts there but everytime i hit the open water there i manage 40-50 crappie at least. yes there are alot of steady 8-9" crappie but i'm not complaining, great table fair, and i've personally pulled out some very nice slabs.

20 bucks a line yes i will agree was steep. maybe giving a discount for the second line like getting two for 30 wouldn't have been as bad but i was willing to pay that money and support a local fishery.

here's a few from binbrook

valensjan3rd2.jpgjune21st003.jpgjune21st001.jpgbinbrookderby.jpgbinbrook1.jpg

Thanks Miller!! And to uncle Buck..lets hope the next time you visit is a much better experience.....

Oh yea, I think the reason the gate house was closed at 3 was the student who was working started at 6 and since there is NO MONEY for overtime she was gone home... Everyone else was on the ice trying to get through the snowdrifts and slush with all the stuff from the derby.....

Sorry you had a bad experience Uncle Buck, always thinking about dropping a line in Binbrook (soft water season) We tried it mant years ago without success.

I don't want to change the subject however I have never understood this...

Campgrounds don't make money for conservation areas... 24hr staff and facilities cost too much..it's break even with good weather...

How can public owned campgrounds not make a profit when private ones can flourish? The costs associated with operating a private campground must be very high with mortgages, taxes, insurance, labour, repairs....you get the point. Public ones are on free land so to speak, probably pay no property tax and do not have provide the operator with an income and in many cases the price to rent a space is comparable for a night or season. Daily use rates are not cheap either :w00t: at conservation areas or provincial parks and I assume that would cover a large portion of the operating costs. Also overnight camping is a sideline to the day use, just like a store that has the square footage on hand already, they are open and paying overhead so they add a deli counter, sell a few subs and a coffee or two and instant profit! Gravy :P

With all of that in mind I don't get how they can loose money. Perhaps typical government poor management practices?:sarcasm:

Most private campgrounds are family owned and they do employ people but they have the advantage of not having to pay someone to stay overnight as well as early and late in the season. Chippewa Conservation area breaks even at best and money is very tight for conservation authorities...... The Hamilton Conservation Authority is closing the campground near the water park along the beach because it dosen't make any money... They plan to concentrate their resources at Fifty point.....