I have $400 in BPS gift cards........

ckrb2007

this might not be helpful but i wouldn't put that much money into a spinning combo. while i love my stradics, i get equivalent, or at least good enough performance from reels like a sedona for half the money. inexpensive med light spinning rods have great feel and are less trouble to maintain, or pitch if they break. i put the bigger dollars into baitcasting setups where it seems to matter more. but hey, a stradic with a compre/crucial setup would be a nice way to use the gift card!

I have to agree with Smally21 on the reel. I think that if you are looking for a primary spinning rod that will meet most of your needs, I would suggest going with a Medium/Heavy action rod. Use 15# braid and you can use this set up for everything....grubs, tubes, bucktail jigs,senkos even jerk baits. All rod manufacturers have what your looking for. You have to go and check em out for yourself and see how they feel in your hands.Good luck

Damn last year's pflueger supreme xt with magnesium body is on sale at bps for $69.88. That would be a great real.

Just an FYI for anyone interested in the old Supreme XTs.

I was at BPS tonight, I wanted to pick up the 9030XT but they sold out this morning. Looks like they still have a good number of 9035 and 9040 models though..I resisted temptation...but now I'm kind of kicking myself for not letting my impulses get the better of me for once...oh well, Spring classic is comin' up fast...

That or I may have to boot back down to Vaughan after class tomorrow.. :whistling:

Just an FYI for anyone interested in the old Supreme XTs.

I was at BPS tonight, I wanted to pick up the 9030XT but they sold out this morning. Looks like they still have a good number of 9035 and 9040 models though..I resisted temptation...but now I'm kind of kicking myself for not letting my impulses get the better of me for once...oh well, Spring classic is comin' up fast...

That or I may have to boot back down to Vaughan after class tomorrow.. :whistling:

I was there tonight and they had 2 9035s left and a guy beside me was buying one. I too resisted temptation and would have bought if the 9030 was there. I asked about more coming in and they said maybe, no guarantee that stocks will be replaced as they are last year's model.

I did however pick up a nice new carbonlite rod for $69 and a pair of waterproof boots rated for -100 degrees F. Not sure it they will be that warm but they are waterproof which is a step up from my current pair.

this might not be helpful but i wouldn't put that much money into a spinning combo. while i love my stradics, i get equivalent, or at least good enough performance from reels like a sedona for half the money. inexpensive med light spinning rods have great feel and are less trouble to maintain, or pitch if they break. i put the bigger dollars into baitcasting setups where it seems to matter more. but hey, a stradic with a compre/crucial setup would be a nice way to use the gift card!

To say that one cheap spinning rod does everything but you *need* to have good and various casting setups is kinda foolish. Inexpensive Med-Lite rods are not "sensitive" they are noodly. "Sensitivity" in a rod equates to stiffness, and how much info off of your line/bait can be telegraphed through the rod into your hand.

I'm not saying casting rigs are a waste of money either...if you use alot of casting specific techniques then buy the best gear you can afford. But to suggest spinning gear as a whole is unimportant is kind of foolish.

$400 dollars in gift cards should be treat just like cash.....stretched out by only purchasing "things" that are on sale. Spending it on a rod & reel combo would be a huge waste of money IMHO....A $100 - $150 combo will catch just as many fish.

Do you need shirts or shorts for the up coming summer months. Check out BPS's CLEARANCE section on their website.

I ONLY shop in Cabela's Bargain Cave because eventually the products I am looking for end up there and sometimes I save as much as 50% off. Retail prices are for suckers.....

Good Luck Shopping and be patient,

Bob