Lake Nipissing's # 1 fishin' guide passed away

Muskieman

Here in the small community of Sturgeon Falls, we had an original

aboriginal... He was quite the character... well liked and well known , actually everybody knew him... the kindest and warm hearted

individual that anyone could have ever met.

Always to be seen chatting somebody up on the street accompanied by his little dog Charlie Brown.

He was a greatly respected Native Elder and locally known as one of

Lake Nipissing's best guides.

Until the late 70's, he was the last resident of Nipissing's Wig-Wam bay.. a distance of 12Kms from town... which in winter he would walk the distance 2x a day... He was also know for walking some 60KMS to Dokis Bay across frozen Nipissing and French River.

Here is a tribute song and video that Garden Village men wrote for their elder.

Very touching.

I know that probably none of you, with the exception of a few had ever had the chance to meet this great man.

Had you known him you'd have great sentiment, as do I.

R.I.P, Francis McQuabbie :angel:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_ImkpB4dKGY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Randy

:canadian:

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

Hey Randy. Nice post. Last year we lost another great Nipissing Guide. Can't remember his name but he was my friend's father (can't remember her maiden name). He was a guide at Dokis Lodge and last year he guided for Itallo and his crew for a show. That was only 3 months before he died. We are going to do a memorial fishing derby for him this year at Glenrock.

These men can never be replaced.

Hey Randy. Nice post. Last year we lost another great Nipissing Guide. Can't remember his name but he was my friend's father (can't remember her maiden name). He was a guide at Dokis Lodge and last year he guided for Itallo and his crew for a show. That was only 3 months before he died. We are going to do a memorial fishing derby for him this year at Glenrock.

These men can never be replaced.

Do you mean Percy? If so, sorry to hear he passed away, he guided a buddy and i a few years back out of Wolesly. Greatt guy he was.....

Is this the same Francis that guided out of Tall Pines for awhile? If so, I have shared some great memories with him. If it's not, then RIP.

If you're talking Tall Pines Camp on Nipissing's Sandy Island.. owned by Dan and Linda that would be Francis.

I heard today that APTN is looking at making a biography of his life.

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

Wow, that really brings back memories. He taught us how to catch fish when nobody else was catching them. We still use every trick he taught us. Back then, Tall Pines was owned by Mark Hall, who now has a place on Sandy Island just outside Wigwam.

As TJ said, he had some rough times. It's great to hear he was so special to the people of Sturgeon Falls. It makes me smile to remember how hard it was to understand what he told us. He mumbled quite a bit. I'm sad to hear of his passing.