Cottage and boat rental

Gregoire

Hi OFC'ers,

I know their have been a few posts recently about this topic. I read through them I didn't find the information I'm looking for. Over Christmas my father in law, who is an infrequent fisher, and my brother in law, who I got started fishing last year, decided that we were going on a fishing trip this summer. Apparently it is up to me to find a lodge/cottage that fits the following criteria:

Can sleep 6 with 3 different rooms

Is nice enough so that the girls will join us (this means close to shopping, and according to my lovely fiancee is not "like a cottage")

Is no more than 2 hours from TO

We can rent a boat, or provides a boat

Has some good numbers of Bass.

I will add that I would love to be on a lake with Musky, as I have all the gear and would love to hook the boys up with a ski or two. If no Musky then Pike will do.

I know my list is pretty extensive. I am guessing a resort is our best bet. Any input or suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Check out Elmhirst Resorton Rice Lake. They have nice large cottages and rent boats. It's one of the only cottage type places that has fishing my wife will actually go to.

Although, I don't know how close to shopping it is, but Peterborough isn't that far off.

Rice lake is loaded with bass. It has musky, but I haven't seen that many, although the ones I have seen were quite large. I'd say it's not as good as the other Kawartha Lakes for musky fishing, but there are definitely spots to try for them.

fishgreg

check this http://www.buckeyecentre.ca/ Right in Bobcaygeon on the water. The girls can walk to shopping...my wife says Bigley's is the BEST shoe store on the planet... and restaurants while you fish. Eat in the rooms or go out...your choice. Family owned and you can rent boats from the son next door. I have caught tons of smallies just out of the river in the north end of Pidgeon...3 minutes from the hotel...muskies too. You might have to book more then one room to include everybody...but you won't be disappointed.

fishgreg

check this http://www.buckeyecentre.ca/ Right in Bobcaygeon on the water. The girls can walk to shopping...my wife says Bigley's is the BEST shoe store on the planet... and restaurants while you fish. Eat in the rooms or go out...your choice. Family owned and you can rent boats from the son next door. I have caught tons of smallies just out of the river in the north end of Pidgeon...3 minutes from the hotel...muskies too. You might have to book more then one room to include everybody...but you won't be disappointed.

That looks nice. I imagine it books up quickly though. Is it pet friendly? I forgot to add that as a stipulation.

Edited by fishgreg

Pets are welcome. Beans can verify this. There is a American woman...Faye...who has been coming forever...who brings Jessie and Jake ...her 2 dogs. She comes and visits us with the dogs every weekend when we are carp fishing from shore in the summer :thumbsup_anim:

Honestly this place is a real gem. We stayed there 2-3 times every year before we got our own cottage up there.

Pets are welcome. Beans can verify this. There is a American woman...Faye...who has been coming forever...who brings Jessie and Jake ...her 2 dogs. She comes and visits us with the dogs every weekend when we are carp fishing from shore in the summer :thumbsup_anim:

Honestly this place is a real gem. We stayed there 2-3 times every year before we got our own cottage up there.

That is great to hear. It sounds like I need to check dates, look into a boat rental and firm up a reservation...provided I can get female approval.

Just to show that the lake has musky..I steered Rizzo to Buckeye last fall...check the http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48147&view=findpost&p=517093&hl=buckeye%20center&fromsearch=1

What's the water clarity like on Pigeon? I've heard good things about musky fishing on the lake. I have some ideas about how to target the essox, as I hear it is somewhat different from some of the Kawartha lakes that I've fished.