Question about WFN and Hi-Def receiver

Mike Pike

I just got a new big screen and have set it up with a Motorola HD receiver from Cogeco. Now, I understand WFN isn't available in HD here so I'm watching it on the regular signal which I know is inferior to an HD signal. BUT the picture quality on WFN isn't as good as other non-HD channels. In particular, when it goes to the commercials, they're grainy and snowy.

Just wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing a similar problem.

I've ran into this as well...I was running a COAXIAL from receiver to my 52"... terrible picture quality... I then went to Patch Cords

(yellow/white/red) big improvement... S-Video is even better, I now run a HDMI cable

what a difference!!! Trial and error I'd say...

I just got a new big screen and have set it up with a Motorola HD receiver from Cogeco. Now, I understand WFN isn't available in HD here so I'm watching it on the regular signal which I know is inferior to an HD signal. BUT the picture quality on WFN isn't as good as other non-HD channels. In particular, when it goes to the commercials, they're grainy and snowy.

Just wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing a similar problem.

are you using an A/V receiver?

I don't know what kind of TV you bought .. but..

My LG has an option .. depending on the (cinema,sport,game,flat,media)MODE it's in, it automatically switches itself from 1080P to 720P resolution...

My digital music channels automatically set themselves to 720P since there is no picture.sound quality doesn't change. *Most others are at 1080P... my Discovery and Nat/Geo... CMT and WILD has went to 720P for some reason.. I had to reset them manually.

My LG has an option .. depending on the (cinema,sport,game,flat,media)MODE it's in, it automatically switches itself from 1080P to 720P resolution...

My digital music channels automatically set themselves to 720P since there is no picture.sound quality doesn't change. *Most others are at 1080P... my Discovery and Nat/Geo... CMT and WILD has went to 720P for some reason.. I had to reset them manually.

Hmmm, mine is an LG too. Where is this mode you speak of?

He is not on Satellite, the OP is on cable. Most notable Cogeco. They compress the less desirable (based on viewers) channels to make room for the more watched channels, they only have so much bandwidth available on their pipes.

This is why some channels look great! and others look like crap.

welcome to the world of cable.

G

Hmmm, mine is an LG too. Where is this mode you speak of?

I can access mine by using a Q.Menu button..

I then have a resolution option , I go to "select by channel" which also has all possible inputs ( AV 1,2 ,RGB 1,2 HDMI 1,2,3 etc)

and then choose HDMI 1.. and I make sure that it's on 1080P

I make sure that it's the same in every MODE (game, flat ,cinema..)

He is not on Satellite, the OP is on cable. Most notable Cogeco. They compress the less desirable (based on viewers) channels to make room for the more watched channels, they only have so much bandwidth available on their pipes.

This is why some channels look great! and others look like crap.

welcome to the world of cable.

G

True enough...

Actually, I just found those settings Randy and changed 'em too. Thank you. Still no difference though. We're narrowing it down though. No matter what Cogeco says, I think it's the box.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm using an HDMI cable, instead of the green, blue, red connects. I've tried it both ways and there is no difference( that I could tell ), so I went with the HDMI cable.

And sorry Buster, but what's an A/V receiver? You mean the HD box?

all my components run through my Yamaha audio/video receiver for 9.1 surround

Edited by BUSTER

Just wanted to thank everyone for your time and replies.

Well, I finally went to my Cogeco store and swapped out my HD receiver for another one and problem solved. Obviously, it was a problem with the Motorola unit I was given.

This after the cable company kept telling me it just COULDN'T be their receiver.

Sheesh!