CFL bulbs

Entropy

Be very carefull!

I bought the "cool white" bulbs because they seem more like natural light and a 9w of the cool white lights up the same space a 23 w of soft white will.

On the package it said not to dispose of in the garbage as it contained mercury and should be disposed of at a faciltity equipped to deal with mercury" :unsure:

NICE. So much for "greener" bulbs.

I moved some 150 watt equiv bulbs from the garage to the barn today, they had been in the garage for about a year, and during the spring and warmer months we don`t close the garage door until everyone is in for the night.

Darn things sounded like a salt shaker, vents in the plastic base were to big to keep out a lot of bugs, I don`t know what effect it has on the bulbs retaining heat(shortening life), or a possibility of a fire hazard. I blew them out with the air compressor.

Be very carefull!

I bought the "cool white" bulbs because they seem more like natural light and a 9w of the cool white lights up the same space a 23 w of soft white will.

On the package it said not to dispose of in the garbage as it contained mercury and should be disposed of at a faciltity equipped to deal with mercury" :unsure:

NICE. So much for "greener" bulbs.

I read an article on the internet about this recently. The CFL do contain small amounts of mercury. But coal contains mercury which is released into the atmosphere when it is burned. According to the article, the CFL's actually reduce the amount of mercury introduced into the environment by reducing the amount of coal required to generate electricity.