Navionics Card

moemoe

From the little that I know about this the navionics Gold is an complete coverage of a given area (example Southwestern Ontario) also has markings such as marinas hospitals etc. The hot maps on the other hand is Canada wide and covers the most popular lakes across Canada. Check out the link below and see what lakes are coverd under the hot maps.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/.../navionics.html

I also noticed the gold+ cards have the panoramic view something the original gold cards did not have. Gold cards also feature contact information such as phone numbers and addresses for businesses I don't think the hot maps have this.

Edited by taper

I have the new Classic card and it was 99.99 and it has port information and dynamic tide info with alot of the obstructions listed. I don't see why they would sell off the newest edition at a discount unless they are ramping up to release an even newer edition of the gold series. You might want to check the version of the maps before you buy or realize you are getting the previous version which is not bad either.

art

I have the East Great lake chips in the Gold and absolutely love them, They show great detail and all contours, and major rock piles, weed lines, marina's, launch ramps etc. It is a good price as at the show they were 239.99 but that is for the lateset version. I was lucky and went down to Cabela's PA and bought the 901gold chip for a great deal. The hotmaps does not show the water contours and depths detail as the Gold chip but it does relate to land and all lakes in Ontario without the detail for navigation. If you are looking for the best marine chip go with the Gold.

l have the gold card that l bought last year and it works great and covers the areas that l fish, there is new cards that just came out this year XL9 and the platinum cards.. they are suppose to have greater coverage and more detail 3D, also can only be used with certain fish finders.

you can always give them a call and see what is the best card for your unit 1-800-848-5896

also cabelas has a sale on some of the cards you might want to check them out and save some money...

Guest lundboy

The big difference is the coverage area. In the gold series you must purchase a regional coverage chip. The one I have is the Gold XL for east and it covers only navigable waters such as Trent Severn system and great lakes. They have full contour, and marina info, but no land roads.

The new Navionics® HotMaps® Premium '07 <--(Copied from site) give you just as much detail plus more. It also includes hazards such as rocks/structure, country roads, major roads etc. Hot maps covers all of Canada and gives you most popular lakes EXCEPT for navigable waters such as Trent Severn. It does cover some obscure lakes such as Poudash near Bancroft which was surprising. $269 is the price for 2007 Hot Maps.

Edited by lundboy

"Poudash near Bancroft "

no kiddin'.

you ever fish that lake?

i fished there three years in a row when i was a kid, staying at the camp sites at the narrows.

we caught some monster bass, as well as a monster pickeral one year.....

have the pickeral caught on there? or are they still ultra rare?

Guest lundboy
"Poudash near Bancroft "

no kiddin'.

you ever fish that lake?

i fished there three years in a row when i was a kid, staying at the camp sites at the narrows.

we caught some monster bass, as well as a monster pickeral one year.....

have the pickeral caught on there? or are they still ultra rare?

My buddy has a trailer in a camp there. I have fished it once (last year). The walleyes are still rare but there is a lot of lake trout and bass!