Walleye Jigging Rod

stubbex1

I'm heading to huntsville for the weekend and will be driving past Bass Pro. I'm looking for a decent spinning rod for jigging. I've done a little online searching and it seems 6' light fast action is the way to go. By the way my budget is around $75-$100. Any suggestions?

Thanks! K.S.

I'm heading to huntsville for the weekend and will be driving past Bass Pro. I'm looking for a decent spinning rod for jigging. I've done a little online searching and it seems 6' light fast action is the way to go. By the way my budget is around $75-$100. Any suggestions?

Thanks! K.S.

I just picked up a couple of St. Croix rod & reel combos (+ free St. Croix hats thumbsup_anim.gif ) from JB's Fishing Depot for 45.95 ea. He's also got a good selection of ice fishing tackle as well.http://www.jbsfishingdepot.com/ (401 & Dixon area).

I would call ahead and as Stephen to hold one for you as his stock is getting low. He'll even spool it up for you if you purchase the line. Please tell him Simon referred you.

Regards,

Pikeslayer.

One thing to keep in mind if you are going to be using this with braided line, is to opt for the lighter action, for me short rods and no line stretch can cause a few more fish to "pop" loose. Last fall I switched from one company's 6'6 ML Fast to another's and found a lot more bend further into the blank.

Bring the reel you intend to use and try various rods for balance and feel.

Compres are anice rod in your prices range.

I just picked up a couple of St. Croix rod & reel combos (+ free St. Croix hats thumbsup_anim.gif ) from JB's Fishing Depot for 45.95 ea. He's also got a good selection of ice fishing tackle as well.http://www.jbsfishingdepot.com/ (401 & Dixon area).

I would call ahead and as Stephen to hold one for you as his stock is getting low. He'll even spool it up for you if you purchase the line. Please tell him Simon referred you.

Regards,

Pikeslayer.

Oops. Didn't see you were looking for a 6' rod. Prices mentioned were for 30 "ice rod & reel

The BPS Walleye Angler rods are nice rods and technique specific

That's what I bought, matched up the a shimano Symetre. It's fantastic. Mind you, I only used a few other Walleye rods, so I don't have much to compare to..

For sure, a 6-7' ML is a good rod for jigging with braid. As Jay mentioned the lighter rod makes up for the no stretch in the line and acts as a shock absorber.

Otherwise I would recommend a 6-7' Medium power/fast action rod. Especially if you plan to target larger fish.

A light action rod (no backbone) doesn't bode well for deep-water hook sets with stretchy mono.

If you're going east to the 400 on the 401 you'll be passing near JB's. I'd take a browse there first. Has decent prices. Although, the store is probably a mess since the Spring Fishing and Boating Show is coming up in two weeks. Actually, you might want to just go to that to find a rod if you can.

I was @ JBs on Tuesday. The stores in a pretty well organized state. Call Stephen ahead 416 614 7222.

For sure, a 6-7' ML is a good rod for jigging with braid. As Jay mentioned the lighter rod makes up for the no stretch in the line and acts as a shock absorber.

Otherwise I would recommend a 6-7' Medium power/fast action rod. Especially if you plan to target larger fish.

A light action rod (no backbone) doesn't bode well for deep-water hook sets with stretchy mono.

X2 with Ben. A 6' or 6'3" fast or extra fast action rod with a lure weight rating of 1/8-3/8 ounce or 1/4-1/2 is just about perfect whether running braid or the...."other" stuff :o