Canon T2i

HTHM

Thanks to a fellow board members advice, and other research, I made the plunge into DSLR territory today. My 16 yr old daughter is playing with it now, so i cannot take any pics to upload, but that will happen soon enough. What should I be playing with first? I do not have a lot of experience with a camera, but am willing to learn what to do.

The lenses that I have are:

18 - 55 auto focus and image stabilization

28 - 90 auto focus from a FILM canon rebel.

What can I do with these?

Thanks to a fellow board members advice, and other research, I made the plunge into DSLR territory today. My 16 yr old daughter is playing with it now, so i cannot take any pics to upload, but that will happen soon enough. What should I be playing with first? I do not have a lot of experience with a camera, but am willing to learn what to do.

The lenses that I have are:

18 - 55 auto focus and image stabilization

28 - 90 auto focus from a FILM canon rebel.

What can I do with these?

18-55 landscapes and macro

28-90 excellent for portraits

have fun ...oh and make sure you shoot in RAW format...gives you alot more power to PP

Congrates and have fun ..

HTHM.

I know Im a new guy :), (not really have read the board for years, used to post under a different name) so you might not trust my opinion.

Best piece of advice I can give you is slow down, don't rush into anything and learn...Learn photography and while learning, learn about yourself and what "you" like to do/shoot.

And do yourself a huge favor. Get the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

HTHM.

I know Im a new guy :), (not really have read the board for years, used to post under a different name) so you might not trust my opinion.

Best piece of advice I can give you is slow down, don't rush into anything and learn...Learn photography and while learning, learn about yourself and what "you" like to do/shoot.

And do yourself a huge favor. Get the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

Just because you are "new" doesn't mean squat. If you know more than I do, and are willing to share, then your input is as welcome as the next guys.

Thanks for the tip!

Just because you are "new" doesn't mean squat. If you know more than I do, and are willing to share, then your input is as welcome as the next guys.

Thanks for the tip!

Lol, true.

However I also know people might wonder:)

Its all good, as I said I've been here a few years. The last year I've consolidated all my various old user names under the one that I now use for my photography, which meant deep sixing some in an effort to keep things consistant.

Don't post pics anywhere near as much as I used to on many sites/forums....takes way too much time with so many boards/websites etc to stay on top of. So mostly read, and comment here/there or mostly help if I can.

When your starting it's fairly easy to get caught up and start thinking about what lenses/accessories to buy/add. Resist that, use the time instead to learn a bit about photography. In the process, you will discover what types of photo's most interest you..aka what you enjoy the most... Then start thinking/wondering about what lenses can do what etc. what to buy next, or replace etc.

The assumption here is that you want to "grow" and do more than use the camera on full auto. So start with a good foundation and right now undertsanding what constitutes a "good" exposure, what goes on in a camera and how to start doing some of that, is the palce to start, whether you eventually make use of all thats available or not.

For 15 bucks or so, that book I recomended is worth its weight in gold, make it your bible.

J

Edited by JBen