New Toy

Gregoire

A couple of weeks ago I came in to some extra cash (thanks to my fantasy football genius) and I decided to use some of my winnings to purchase a new reel. I started a post and decided to get the Pflueger Patriarch 9525 for two reasons:

1. I wanted to use it for ice fishing

2. I fish some clear and busy water and wanted to be able to use an extreme finesse presentation

I decided that I would purchase the reel from LeBaron as they had a good price on the reel and I would get the 10% rebate. When I go to the Markham store and asked they did not have any Patriarchs in stock. I then asked to see the Shimano Stradis CI4 microline, and it turned out they don't carry that reel. On to plan B. I called bass pro, and they had none in stock. Plan C I called LeBaron Missisuaga, none. Restocking would be in mid march, so on to plan D, order online. I ended up getting the reel on ebay shipped from Thailand for a little less than it would have been in stores in Canada (196 all in). With the savings I was able to order an Abu Garcia hip bag, which will be nice to use while shore fishing.

The reel was delivered a week and a half after the order, extremely good delivery time I thought. I got a chance to pick it up yesterday.

The reel out of the box:

IMG_1222.jpg

The box:

IMG_1232.jpg

Thai writing on the box and warranty card

IMG_1230.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

A close up of the spools and handle

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1227.jpg

A few questions: Why are the holographic stickers with the serial numbers stickers marked Abu Garcia? (I know that both Pflueger and Abu Garcia are owned by Pure Fishing.)

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1229.jpg

And what is this sticker for:

IMG_1223.jpg

I was thinking that I would load up the ultra light spool with 5 ld braid and use that in the summer. I am planning on using the spare aluminum spool for ice fishing. Any recommendations for line on this spool. I was thinking a heavier ice braid as I would like to target lakers. Do I need to add tape/backing to the good spool to spool it with braid?

Thanks for reading and any input or advice that you can give.

Greg

Nice !!! I have a Patriarch also.Nice smooth strong reel.I teamed mine with a Fennwick HMG 6'm/f and its a great tool.

I'd like to pair it with a really light 7 foot or so light rod. I'd love to make it a cumulus or a G loomis but those seem a bit pricey. There seems to be a compre that works. I'm going to have to try the reel on a bunch of rods.

Nice pflueger. As a tourney fisherman it's hard to budget cause you want equipment to be reliable and cheap lol. Yes that's hard to find. I really like my plueger supremes and president reels. You will love the patriarch series, very jealous lol.

Edited by Henry Nguyen