WWII Bayonet - NF

Bigworm

Hey Guys,

When my old man passed away, I found this at his place. He was a collecter of German paraphernalia. Anyone know anything about this peice and its value? On the base of the blade is 2358 with the letter "c" under it and on the other side is 44 CRS. At the end of the handle are 2 stamps one I believe reads W?A519. The other one I would need a magnify glass to see.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Mark

Bayonet.jpg

This is what my buddy told me:

"Standard issue german combat bayonet - type used in the field, not dress - in kinda rough condition. Manufactured 1944

"The serial numbers don't match. Strike one. Condition is poor. Strike two. But still has scabbard and obviously original - probably $60 to a very optimistic $90

"1944 can be worth more - combat bayo collectors have weird little nuances - but best bet if he wants to sell Paul Hogle is in Canada (outside of Peterborough) and is an honest seller.  He pays top dollar for stuff (obviously "top dollar" means wholesale price - usually 60% of what he ultimately lists it on his site for) so the prices I quoted are realistic wholesale prices.  His site http://www.facebook.com/l/64611-aW5Ga6UzdNcn1jLqRsukw;www.lakesidetrader.com

When the boys came home they smuggled tons of German and Nazi souvenirs home with them. The top item was a Luger officer issue pistol. Next was anything with an intact nazi emblem, all of which were to be destroyed. SS and party blades were very popular items.

I had inherited a collection of nazi postage 20 years back that fetched good money when I sold it

Interesting find. If you are from Hamilton you should make a drive to Burlington. On Brant St. (south of QEW) is a military memorabilia store. I've been there before (I'm a history teacher:) and they have a lot of interesting things that they receive and send world wide. They will be able to give you an assessment of the value and may buy it as well. Worth checking out.

http://www.emedals.ca/location.asp

Let us know what it's worth.