Bluegill through the ice..

For the past three years Averie and I have enjoyed what I consider one of the best bluegill fisheries you can find in Ontario.  From ice-out to ice-up we absolutely hammer on these 8 to 12 inch aggressive, hard fighting (for their size) tasty little fish, and occasionally get into some good crappie and rock bass that are mixed in the school as well.  

IMG_1065.jpg

bgill1_2.jpg

DSCF2898.jpg

DSCF2901.jpg

DSCF5234.jpg

DSCF5232.jpg

DSCF5244.jpg

DSCF4121.jpg

Up until now, we've spent most of our ice fishing targeting perch either on Longpoint Bay, or on our local pond in 25+ FOW.  If we can't get the perch to bite, I usually take her to her Goby hole just to keep her interested in the sport.

n502461579_1748356_8386.jpg

n502461579_1748359_9251.jpg

DSCF2192.jpg

DSCF2222.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

Now, after having a tough perch bite yesterday, I've decided I'd like to do some exploring and see if we can find some of our bluegill during the hardwater season.  I'm sure if we were able to dial them in like we can in the summer we'd have an ice fishing heaven right on our doorstep!  

So my question is, during the winter of course.... Where, When and Why?  I've got the baits covered, just need to find the fish!

Cheers,

Ryan & Averie