Saltwater fly line?

super dave

I'm going to cuba this saturday and people say there are bonefish right off the beach! Can't wait. My question is, do I need to get saltwater fly line or is my ordinary floating line fine? I will probably only fish a day or two as its a family vacation. Any of you had experience with bonefish? Successful flies? I tied a few crazy charlies last night but looking for some more successful patterns.

Thanks.

You might be able to get away with a regular line if you only plan on fishing a couple days. Keep in mind what your line is up against though.. coral, mangroves, volcanic rock.. There's also the applications. You might have to punch a long line to some spooky bones facing the wind, and a regular wf fly line doesn't cut it.

I use a mastery series salwater in 8wf, it's got a green running line with a sandy tip. Great for punching long line and bigger flies. Plus the abbrasion resistance is top notch.

For extra patterns, you can't go wrong with some lefty's deceivers and chernobyl crabs.

Good luck!!

HD

What rod will you be using? It'll need some backbone to to cast a saltwater line properly so you might be better off just using your existing setup especially if you have something like a bass taper line to turn over the larger flies.

As Highdrifter rightly says, you'll need to be able to make long casts and handle strong wind (about all a saltwater line is good for) as bonefish are spooky at the best of times.

Have a great trip!

What rod will you be using? It'll need some backbone to to cast a saltwater line properly so you might be better off just using your existing setup especially if you have something like a bass taper line to turn over the larger flies.

As Highdrifter rightly says, you'll need to be able to make long casts and handle strong wind (about all a saltwater line is good for) as bonefish are spooky at the best of times.

Have a great trip!

to my honest I don't know what my existing line is. I break out the fly rod once every two years if that.

to my honest I don't know what my existing line is. I break out the fly rod once every two years if that.

LOL - in that case, take what you have and be wery wery quiet! :)

If it'll handle big fish (steelhead, salmon, pike) in fresh water, you'll be OK, if it's delicate lighter trout gear, you'll struggle a bit especially in the wind.

LOL - in that case, take what you have and be wery wery quiet! :)

If it'll handle big fish (steelhead, salmon, pike) in fresh water, you'll be OK, if it's delicate lighter trout gear, you'll struggle a bit especially in the wind.

Sorry. you were asking about the rod not line. Its a 9 foot st croix travel rod 8 weight. So I should be good there.

you're golden if you're only planning to fish off the beach and try your luck out...if you were planning a bit of an excursion or paying a guide then some more appropriate gear might be in order

when was the last time you were in your backing? how old is your backing and has your reel and backing ever taking a thorough dunking? has your backing-leader knot ever been tested?....I once learned the hard way that damp backing that isn't given a chance to dry out will degrade and lose its strength

for 10 bucks I'd recommend spooling up some new backing and giving your current fly line a good cleaning and conditioner

buy some fluoro leader material, not for teh "invisibility" factor :sarcasm: but for abrasion resistance....make sure all your knots are good and strong

Sorry. you were asking about the rod not line. Its a 9 foot st croix travel rod 8 weight. So I should be good there.

Sounds perfect - good advice above about checking your backing etc. and speaking of dunkings make sure you wash your gear in fresh water afterwards especially your reel if it's not saltwater safe.

We need a pic of a bonefish when you get back!!! :Gonefishing:

here is a link to the fly line conditioner i mentioned but lots of other comparable products out there

http://www.rioproducts.com/product.php?recKey=118

good stuff, really does help shoot your line and float higher

last word of advice, when you hook up, watch your knuckles on the initial run!!!