Sign in to follow this  
bigbuck

Scotty Rod Holders

Just looking for some informed opinions. I'm thinking about mounting a pair of Scotty Rod Holders on the back of my boat (19ft Larson Fish'n Ski), basically it's a 19ft bowrider with a trolling motor and fishfinder. I'm looking at the Powerlock model with Flush Mounts.

Now, what I want them for is for trolling Muskies, so they have to be tilted downwards so the rod tips are pretty much in the water. Are they strong enough mounted this way or do I have to get some Bert's mounts and do it that way (harder to do and a lot more dough). For the amount I actually get to fish, I don't want to put too much into this project because I'm likely to be able to spend even less time up north due to business.

Just looking for some informed opinions. I'm thinking about mounting a pair of Scotty Rod Holders on the back of my boat (19ft Larson Fish'n Ski), basically it's a 19ft bowrider with a trolling motor and fishfinder. I'm looking at the Powerlock model with Flush Mounts.

Now, what I want them for is for trolling Muskies, so they have to be tilted downwards so the rod tips are pretty much in the water. Are they strong enough mounted this way or do I have to get some Bert's mounts and do it that way (harder to do and a lot more dough). For the amount I actually get to fish, I don't want to put too much into this project because I'm likely to be able to spend even less time up north due to business.

Hey BB,

I use the Scotty Orcas for trolling LO. I like the Orcas for the quick release system (just yank the rod out) as well for holding my rods in transit (they will never bounce/fall out). The nylon construction is strong enough for running wire lines with dipsey and the rod tip skimming the water. I use the standard deck mount because it gives me more clearance above the gunnel so when I run tips down, there is no interference (so you might want to make sure you can do this with flush mounts depending on their installation location). I did add a 3/8" substrate on the underside of the gunnel for reinforcement (my boat is aluminum).

Hope this helps.

Pikeslayer

Use S-10 Downeasters. You can't beat them and for down rods they're indispensable.

I have a Salty that I used up on LOTW, I agree they are great. The problem with them is that I need to put down some Custom Bert's tracks and mounts etc.... Making a $100 job closer to $5-600.

Edited by bigbuck

Scotty Strikers are the way to go

I've had mine for over 7 years now and taken 100's of Salmon on them and not had a problem

Dan

With all the pressure from dragging big muskie lures you'd probably be better off with the downeasters.

If it was for salmon fishing, it'd probably be fine to get the scotty power locks or the new orcas.

The bert tracks are very nice in that you can adjust the position of the rod holder to where you want. Also, when not in use you can the slide step pads to make it look clean on your bowrider.

(Note- this is from trogan tackle but they are the same size and idea)

Rigging6.jpg

(Note- this is from traxstech)

TRACK_INSERTS_black.jpg

I agree with a couple of the posters above Bruce, stay away from the plastic holders if your gonna run the large musky baits. The pressure from the big lips can strip the plastic. Go with the Downeasters.