Virginia Beach Report

tapout

Got out yesterday and had my lines down by 8:30 am, a little later then I intended but also not being sure of the ice thickness i wasn't going to risk it in the dark either. The bite was extremely light and very spotty. There was about a 2 1/2 hour period where I didn't get a single hit. I fished from about 6 fow to 12. The deeper spots seemed to produce the best. Nearing about 3pm I moved way out in search of some deeper water and found it somewhere probably just over halfway to georgina island. I drilled my holes, set up a pickeral rig with minnows at one hole and 5 feet away used a red russian hook with a minnow. The jigging action of the russian hook definetly out produced the set line. I had on a bite indicator on my rod and it made the difference. The bite was so lite I got a jumbo on my set line and only knew I had it when i was checking the bait. I had the most action about the last hour and a half of daylight. This was also when I moved to deeper water. Maybe this was where they were all day or maybe the bite turned on a bit in the afternoon. I iced about 35 with about 9 jumbos, several 8 to 9 inchers and the rest less then that. I managed 20 keepers. As for the ice, The thinest anywhere I drilled was 6 inches, some spots over 7 inches. There is snow on the ice and some slushy spots. Snow is up to a foot deep in spots. There were sleds and atvs out there and a local hut operator has 2 huts put out as well. The ferry is still running so stay well away from that area if you venture out.

All in all it was great to get out and ice a few perch even if it was a slow day.

Cheers,

Tony.

Well you did better than we did on Chemong yesterday, we caught a grand total of 5 dink perch between 3 of us in about 5 hours of fishing. Everywhere we drilled was 6" - 7" of ice.

Still was a blast getting out though. :thumbsup_anim: