Ice fishing Nipissing

justwannafish

Hey everyone

I'm gonna be headin up to Nipissing for my 3rd annual ice fishing trip in february and this year I'm more in it for the fishing than the partying that it usually ends up being.

I've always just borrowed gear from people once I'm up there but I want to get my own set up now. Not sure really how to go about it or what's good/bad or really even what fish will be there to catch! I remember whitefish was pretty abundant last year but not too sure what else.

With christmas just around the corner I thought it would be a good time to make a list of gear to get and I figured here would be the best place to get advice so anything anyone can let me know of would be great!!

Thanks everyone!

I'll be sure to post my prizes from the lake come February and I'll put up the gear I get after Xmas!

Happy holidays!!

JWF

Come join our get together in Feb!! your more than welcome and will get lots of tips.

I'd suggest buying a basic ice fishing rod and reel setup for jigging and one or two tip ups for live bait setups. Any simple tip up design will do for Nipissing walleye. 6 or 8 lbs test will do just fine for Nipissing as well. I've done really well jigging with 1/4 oz knuckleball jigs head with 4" white, chartreuse or pink twister tails. Hook and minnow work well for tip ups.

Don't forget the warm clothing!

Thanks for the info Rod Caster!

I will make up my list and hand it over to Santa right away! Hahaha

Where do you go ice fishing? Same lake? Nipissing?

generally we place our shack on Nipissing and do great with Perch and walleye.

I just picked up a bunch of ice fishing gear as well, I can't wait till the season really opens up.

Definitly join us on the GTG!