I finally took the the fly fishing plunge

muskymatt

I took the plunge and bought some fly gear.

I had talked about it and considered it for quite some time now and seeing as Green Drake here in Ottawa had a pretty good sale on I decided I would take advantage of saving some money and buy now.

My introductory set up into fly fishing consists of

Orvis Clearwater 2 908-4 Tip 9.5 , 9' 8 wt.line 4 pc 3-1/2 oz rod

Orvis Size 4 (gold) 72 ET 61 15 reel

2 spare spools

Stillwater invis. sub-surface line

Mainstream full sink line

Wonderline power taper Gen 3

SA tippets

Orvis leaders and an Orvis Fly bag.

Oh ....and six flies ...

Now all I have to do is either wait till spring, find a spot with open water in winter or move south

Can't wait to try it out.

Looks good. Might be a bit light for muskies tho'. ;)

Yup, actually I will not be targeting muskies on the fly. This equip is for anything else.Some species I will be targeting often are gar pike, salmon-trout, bass and pike.

It's just something I've always wanted to try, who knows maybe it'll all be for sale in 6 months time :w00t:

Matt

Now you have gotten into another facet of fishing and off course you'll have to amass a vast supply of fly fishing stuff.

Next you'll start tying flies and then the real collecting begins.

Cheers

David aka Superdad

Edited by superdad

Now all I have to do is either wait till spring, find a spot with open water in winter or move south

Can't wait to try it out.

Welcome :)

That's a perfect steelhead setup (an egg fly and indicator rig doesn't need any finesse to cast it) - get out there and try it out :thumbsup_anim:

Sounds like a nice set up. Orvis obviously makes a quality product and is a stout enough for the species your targeting.

As a newbie myself, welcome to the dark side or should I say the money side. Definitely hasn't been cheap getting up and running fly fishing but its been fun.

whew, nice plunge...splurged on a solid first setup...if you can, I'd suggest try and exchange your full sink for a type 3 or 4 sinktip, a bit more versatile for your applications IMO

paying for casting lessons/guided trip is a bit pricey but will go a long way and quicken the learning curve...or join a club and get out on as many club trips/clinics as possible

Now all I have to do is either wait till spring, find a spot with open water in winter or move south Can't wait to try it out.

extended season until dec 31 on a bunch of tribs and then year round sections as well, get out now before the spring chaos

I am sure it won't be saving you much money in the long run, lol! I have been avoiding float and fly fishing setups since I know that just means more and more gear for me to buy [i am a gear junky]. I stuck with fly fishing for pike with my spinning rod and a spin bubble. Of course, as a result, I already started tying flies and I don't even really fly fish. I really enjoy doing it though. You won't look at the Christmas decorations in the stores the same after you start tying flies.