Deer Hunting Tips

bushart

Some years ago I wrote letter to deer hunters on Thunder Bay Fishing.com cause of the same reason and after reading Splashopper's thread it still hangs around.

There seems to be a lot of deer hunters out there that need to calm down and take a second breath after pulling the hammer and see if they've hit and wounded their animal.

I've been a hunter for many years and have seen much, and younger hunters could learn from my experience.

Once you fire---stay still and listen....listen for direction of fleeing deer or moose---if lucky listen for the thud of it hitting the ground. Mark closely where you were and where he was when you shot.

Wait some time---I typically wait 10 minutes before approaching where he was when I shot. Critical here---look for blood is easy but they don't always bleed right away---at times hardly at all.

Get on your hands and knees if necessary and look for hair or fat----also indicators of a hit.

Blood is easy to track if there's lots---if not leave a partner at the last blood sign till you find the next or hang tape at last sign.

If you've lost sign do tight circles in area till you pick up the trail again.

I've been witness to many hunters that were so sure they've missed---turns out they did'nt.

Remaining calm and putting these few things together will help lots.

Now I'm ther first to defend the anglers who get lambasted here for keeping a couple meals and often I kid around---this is different.

We have a responsibility to do this to our very best.

Terrence

Great post Terrance.

When theres no snow,it makes for a different track,unless you have a good hit. Like you mentioned,after your shot,watch and listen. 2 of my stands are in thick areas. I can see pretty good in most directions,but one stand, Im blinded by thick bush. Theres where the listen part comes in. No more bashing and crashing,you know it,s taking a nap.The old boys always said to me,have a smoke and wait.

Thanks for posting.

Wait some time---I typically wait 10 minutes before approaching where he was when I shot.

another critical factor with forcing yourself to wait...especially if you didn't get great placement and hit the vitals, often times you will push an injured animal further and further...

if you find an area where the animal rested and then kept going, possible indication that you are pushing him on...let him bed down and pass on....this isn't always the case, sometimes they just run and run....but something to keep in mind

great post btw

one smoke=1o minutes

Yeah I used to smoke years ago.

I just think guys are hitting the bush with licence in hand but without the experience to turn to in times of need.

I can honestly say,when I attend my first deer hunt,I had no idea. I had watched many deer hunting shows that showed, that perfect shot was to the organs.Pop bought me my first rifle as a gift on my first hunt.Boy that was a sweet surprize,as all I had was my shotgun. I had shot a gun before, goose and ducks before this. It was fun.Shooting a deer for the first time,well,this was a different thing. I had no idea what would happen or how to gut.I was really unsure if I could shot a deer or not. True story here.

I found a spot that I really liked. A cliff that had a 50 ft drop to a clearing. Above me was a 10ft rock edge. I was warned that doggin went on,so when you hear the dogs,be ready. Sure as filtered try again please,the dogs started barking. Dont I hear this rusling of leaves and sure enough, this doe pokes her head over the 10ft edge just looking at me over a fallen tree. I put the iron sights right between her eyes. I couldnt pull the trigger.At the time,I thought this was not the way to shoot,and second,what was I to do with it without knowing how to gut her out.(would I take that shot now,in a heart beat)Drp dead on the spot.. I asked the camp,if anyone shoots,please wait til I get to you so I can see what has to be done. I had my chance the next day. I watched and learned . The next year I shot my first. Right through the vitals. She ran 20 yards and dropped.Down I headed and cleaned her up.Since then,it,s easy. If asked,I would show aswell. Both my boys dont want to hunt and I respect them for that. They fish.Least I taught them that.Just wished they learn to fillet.LOL

Dont be afraid to ask,and more importantly,dont expected it to be done for ya.You can shoot,you can clean aswell.To me it,s the gut and drag that makes the hunt.Oh dont forget the beers to quinch your thirst after the drag. ;)

Edited by BrianB