ICE WARNING - Midland/Penetanguishene Area

irishfield

...Sunday at 4PM the Ice Breaker will be coming in past Beckwith and Giants Tomb...past the mouth of Penetang Harbour and right into Midland harbour to free the shipping channel up and let the Honourable Paul Martin head back up the lake for another load of grain.

That said there will be very unsafe ice conditions throughout the area, and Midland Harbour will be totally broken up.

FWI !

wayne same thing is going on here in montreal on the st lawrence and riviere des praries

sometime next week the cost guard will be passing the ice breaker since the shipping season comes to a start very soon. who ever ventures out is better to stick with the back lakes .. most cabins were taken off the ice here today

Hey Wayne, any idea of what time it might be going though? Seems I'm off work for a couple of days and there's no way I can spend that much time cooped up in the house with my nephew right now...he's lucky he's still alive, and at the very least not back where I got hime from :angry: Besides that, i think it would be very cool to watch...

Forget it Wayne, just re read your post and found it myself...ugggghhh....some days....any idea of the best place to watch it come through?

Maureen

Edited by motv8tr

All depends when they actually start pushing Ice Maureen. They said 4pm in the paper and that could be when they plan to arrive way out by the reserve and then start working their way in. If the weather cooperates I may get out for a flight tomorrow. I'll have a look to see if they are coming in yet and repost.

To watch from Shore.. Probably the only spot would be where you met Photoz to fish at the coal dock and once it's further into the basin right out on the Midland town Dock in front of Scully's Crab Shack.

If they're not into Midland Harbour yet...take a drive up the back way to Penetang...go out the main road to my place but don't turn at the stop sign. Go right down to the very end and you should be able to see if they've cut thru the ice in front of Present Island yet.

...Sunday at 4PM the Ice Breaker will be coming in past Beckwith and Giants Tomb...past the mouth of Penetang Harbour and right into Midland harbour to free the shipping channel up and let the Honourable Paul Martin head back up the lake for another load of grain.

I know you're anxious to get your new boat in the water but calling in an ice breaker is a little over the top.

-Brian

Wayne & Maureen, a friend of mine phoned me around noon and said that the breaker was out in the area by Christian Island and the tomb. He heard the info on the radio. I went to Midland Harbour around 5pm and Sandy Bay around 5:30pm with no ice breaker in sight as far as the eye could see. The parking at the "look out" on the top of Bayshore Dr was full. Parking down at the coal dock was congested too. I wanted to take a few pictures of the breaker but that didn't happen. It might have showed up later but I didn't hang around to find out.

Tom

Maybe they found it thicker than expected. I can usually feel it in the house when they're pushing ice from the vibs thru the ice/land almost a mile away..and felt/heard nothing today....not even an air horn blasting as they generally do coming in.

The news said late sunday night or early Monday morning.

My boss has told me many stories of the breaker. Use to watch them come in when the ice was way out there.

He has spent his whole life in Penatang. Born and raised there.